Anyone know how to remove a cemented in toilet to fit a new one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
as the title says really, old toilet cemented in place on a concrete floor, floor drain behind it, wanting to retain use of the drain in order to fit a new toilet in its place as the actual pan is damaged.

Thanks

Hammer ?

OP
OP
Black Sheep
thats the bit I'd figured out,

so, just a cold chisel to take out the concrete?

then push fit the new waste pipe, mark and drill to fit the new pan?

tadpole

thats the bit I'd figured out,

so, just a cold chisel to take out the concrete?

then push fit the new waste pipe, mark and drill to fit the new pan?
I think once you've got rid of the old pan, slot the new one into the pipe the old one fitted into, I'd make sure that the floor slopes towards a drain before fixing anything new down.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I think once you've got rid of the old pan, slot the new one into the pipe the old one fitted into, I'd make sure that the floor slopes towards a drain before fixing anything new down.

why so? I'm simply putting the new toilet into the waste pipe of the old.

subaqua

What’s the point
you may need a "multi-kwik" pan connector . cheap as chips and avaialble from all good plumbers merchants ( or screwfix or at a push B&Q)

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=pan+connector

Night Train

Maker of Things
Is the waste pipe a clay or cast iron one?
If so you need to be careful not to damage the pipe.
The joint could be cemented or could have a rope stuffed into it (forgotten the technical term for that bit but used to fit them that way when 'I were a lad')

Work gloves, goggles, dust mask (more to protect you from inhaling toilet germs then dust).
Flush and clean the toilet as best you can and then flush it again.

Use a small hammer and chisel to carefully crack the back of the pan near the joint to the waste pipe. This will separate the pan spigot from the rest of the pan. Then smash the pan away from the pipe with a bigger hammer and clean off any cement on the floor. That will ensure the pipe isn't damaged in the process.

Get a plastic carrier bag and stuff it full of newspapers and use it to bung the waste pipe so nothing goes down it.

Then carefully chip away the rest of the pan spigot around the cemented joint so the joint is flush with a bit of pan and cement still in the pipe socket.

If possible carefully drill some small holes in the cement joint all the way around the joint, without damaging the pipe, to give a break line. Using a hammer and chisel chip the remains of the pan spigot and cement inwards and remove the bits from the pipe. Carefully chip away any remaining cement from the pipe joint. so it is clean.

Pull the carrier bag and newspaper out of the pipe along with any remaining debris.

Fit new pan with a modern rubber gasket jointed pan connector that is suitable for the pipe. You may need to make up a mortar mix to bed the new pan onto the floor if it is a solid and uneven floor.

Use a spirit level to ensure the new pan is fitted level in both directions.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I reckon Night Train might have done this before!
I have fitted, removed, replaced or relocated toilets around a dozen time in my current house alone. Then there are all the previous ones and the ones I was paid to do.

Not my most favorite of jobs....
Poo lined pipes are nowhere near as offensive as urine soaked floorboards when one is lying down behind a toilet bowl.

Top Bottom