Anyone know Prague?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

We've just booked a few days there in November, so if you have any tips for nice things to do/places to go, I'm all ears. I don't really know anything about the place.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I really enjoyed the Trade Fair Palace, Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, when I went.
Worth a visit for what's inside and also the building itself.

2166418398_c6624a1391.jpg

jiggerypokery

Über Member
You will have the time of your life!

Go to the old town for a start
Go see the Astranomical clock
Drink beer
Go to a classical recital in any of the old churches
Drink beer
Go to the castle
Drink beer
Eat plenty of Trudlo
Go to the jewish quarter - brilliant! - go to the bar oposite the synagogue for mussels & frites and a glass of light beer
Watch a puppet show
Wenceslas Square
Drink beer
Eat Trudlo
Eat meat - and plenty of it
Go to Club Atlas - if you're that way inclined :whistle:

It's a great place, but as with any big city do keep your valuables out of sight and in a safe pocket.

Food is fantastic, there are two places I would recommend, U Ceskych Panu for the old skool beer cellar feel and plenty of beer and Hotel U Prince for the terrace and view over the square

Big tip - wear your thermals

If the xmas market is on the everything just goes up a notch and you have to supplement beer with mulled wine

thomas

the tank engine
Go to The Beer Factory, it's on the main strip. You can pour your own beers...and there is a massive tv which shows how much each table has drunk and you can try and compete :smile:

When I was there with 2 mates we were third...the two winning tables had 8 people on each. I sprained my ankle that night. :whistle:

Also, The Sex Machine Museum is quite...well, some of it is pretty horrific.

Prague is quite expensive, especially in the tourist areas... 5€ for water, that type of thing. One place charged extra for ice in drinks :tongue:

bobg

Über Member
+1 for thermals, it was so cold in February that Mrs BGs jaw froze up every time we left the hotel.... it was worth the plane fare just for that.
A lot of the meat dishes are offal based so beware if you're not fond of it
Prague Castle
Strahof Monastary
The Golden Lane
Kafkas house
The Lesser Quarter
Charles Bridge by Night
The Jewish Town
so many things and places, I loved it
oh and the beer ( and vodka )

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Avoid Wenceslas square at night it tends to be full of stag nights lurching from bar to bar to stripclub to nightclub. Unless you are into that sort of nightlife.

Avoid Wenceslas square at night it tends to be full of stag nights lurching from bar to bar to stripclub to nightclub. Unless you are into that sort of nightlife.

+1

I was on one of those stag-do's. Stayed in Wenceslas Sq. above Marks & Sparks... Not my scene at all. The hookers used to let themselves into the apartments at night (presumably some deal with the security) and do a door-to-door service!

Rest of Prague is ace - look out for the maaaaaaahooosive night club on 5 floors, by the river somewhere - music for all tastes and very friendly. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it, sorry.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
When is the best time to go? Winter sounds a bit cold...........

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
When is the best time to go? Winter sounds a bit cold...........
Winter is a bit cold, but it's the best time to go as there aren't *that* many tourists around.

It's a brilliant place, my favourite Prague experience was walking down from the castle after dark, looking at the twinkly city lights in the distance, and trundling on to the Lesser Town Square near Mostecka and then on to Charles Bridge.

Coffee and fruit pancakes at the Municipal House Art Nouveu style cafe - beautiful surroundings and good for people watching.

Pub Lard, or the Seven Swabians as it's really known is aimed a tourists but has a huge log fire, good beer and decent Czech food (including a platter with lard - yum!). A great place to warm up after tramping round the castle on a cold day.

The astronomical clock at the Old Town Hall is well worth a look, and you can climb the tower in the Town Hall itself for wonderful views across the city and across Tyn Square to the Gothic church, which I'd love to look round but it's been closed each time I've been there, so have had to drink beer instead :smile:

If you like classical music there are small, cheap concerts (of varying quality!) in some of the churches etc. The Jewish quarter is interesting, though its history is sobering (as is quite a lot of Prague's in general, the city and its people have endured some "challenging" times).

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Technical museum across the river,500 year old bar called U'Fleku for a beer and goulash (should be on the city map guide you get),Use the trams for getting round or classic cars in the centre.Everyone else has covered clock,dodgy clubs ect.

Top Bottom