Anyone know Prague?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slugonabike

I second the proposal for coffee and cake at the Municipal House.

OP
OP
T

taxing

Cheers all. I'll be keeping my boyfriend awayfrom the stag parties and prostitutes. :wacko: I'm glad that Charles Bridge is getting good reviews, apparently the hotel is right on top of it. (Not literally, but it's described as being at the foot of the bridge, and the rooms look out onto it.)

Maybe a cycling forum isn't the best place to ask this, but does anyone know about the shopping? I like picking up a souvenir or two from vintage shops or markets while I'm away.

Eat meat - and plenty of it
Go to Club Atlas - if you're that way inclined :whistle:

I'm a vegetarian. :blush: And, er... Club Atlas...?

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Prague is very good for glassware of all types, artisan type things like puppets seem to be popular and lace too I think if memory serves me.

bobg

Über Member
You will be treated with some suspicion and you may in fact starve (only kidding but your choices will be limited).

A friend ordered the vegetarian option (i.e. the vegetarian option) and it came garnished with little pieces of ham.

Do you have any vegetarian dishes? "Mate take nejaka vegetarianska jidla?"

I vividly recall buying what looked like a frankfurter in a bun at a roadside stall. I had watched Mrs BG guzzling the delicious Czech cakes and was saving myself for this. At the first bite a slithering mass of glistening entrails and other such abominations emerged and flopped onto my shirt.......... I believe its a national speciality... ..

OP
OP
T

taxing

You will be treated with some suspicion and you may in fact starve (only kidding but your choices will be limited).

A friend ordered the vegetarian option (i.e. the vegetarian option) and it came garnished with little pieces of ham.

I've had that on holiday before, at least this is only for a few days so I won't be eating Greek salad after picking out the olives for seven days straight. I'll watch out for the ham trick though. They should be careful putting meat in vegetarian dishes, the one time that a Chinese restaurant did that to me I had a bite before I realised and I was doing the most noxious farts all night afterwards. :biggrin: Handy revenge tool I suppose.

We stayed here and had a lovely view of the river.

We're staying here, the pictures look nice but the map is unclear to me so I can't work out where exactly it is.

e-rider

crappy member
drink czech beer

avoid all the yanks

avoid the corrupt police

avoid the scammers and pick pockets in the old square

do not ride black

do not avoid the pretty czech ladies

don't expect to see many czechs in central prague - all priced out by the insane number of tourists

expect to pay UK prices in the centre of town - mega cheap in the suburbs

drink more czech beer

jay clock

Massive member
I was there for a few weeks on business this year. Best visit I had a run in heavy snow at minus 4!

Do be wary of pickpockets/scams etc but we had no problem. The old town/square is heaving with tourists many of whom look dumb as hell.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Baggy, did you just stay there or work there for a bit?

We had the chance to go there about 10 years go, and i've always kind of regretted not doing it.
Have just stayed there, but am lucky enough to have been a few times - Chuffy and I went there for our honeymoon so in total have spent about a month there. I would love to have studied or worked there for a while, it's such an interesting city. Think it might take me a while to learn more than the basics of the language though!

A place that's good for veggie options is Maly Buddha which is a very relaxing place and sells a brilliant range of teas.

Pizza is usually a safe option too...

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Maybe a cycling forum isn't the best place to ask this, but does anyone know about the shopping? I like picking up a souvenir or two from vintage shops or markets while I'm away.
There are plenty of large department stores, some of which still seem to be selling Communist era clothing, but not in an ironic way! I can't remember any markets of note, or any vintage shops - but there are a lot of jewellery stores (garnets are a speciality) selling antique jewellery.

We're staying here, the pictures look nice but the map is unclear to me so I can't work out where exactly it is.
It's on the same side of the river as the castle etc in a quiet spot - and as you've probably figured out, Karluv Most is Charles Bridge so you should hopefully have some good views. It's really well placed for trams (just on the other side of the bridge) and about 20 mins stroll to Wenceslas Square.

There are some really nice cafes in the streets around the hotel, selling yummy hot chocolate :tongue:

Can I come with you, pleeease? ;)

Top Bottom