Anyone know shorts similar to DHB aeron race?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wiggle seems to have discontinued the aeron race range of shorts, men's and women's. These shorts suited me very well. It's a thinner pad than the pro, designed for "3-5 hours" riding. But they were perfect for me, even on 600km+ rides (take a change or 2, of course).

Anyone familiar with the pad, can recommend a similar short? They need to come in women's sizes, but let me know you suggestion even if you've only tried the men's versions.

(I picked up a pair of boardman shorts, but the padding is way to thick for my taste)

thanks.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just to be clear, when you say shorts you do mean non bibshorts, don't you? There are ''clip'' and ''halterneck'' bibshorts on the first page of this search: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=aeron

EDIT: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-womens-shorts/ are still listed.

Stephen C

Über Member
I had/have a similar problem (but not exactly the same), I liked the aeron pro, and have tried the aeron race, but I needed some new shorts and have taken a punt at the straight aeron bibs, which arrived today.

I assume the pads are similar between the bib and non-bib versions so will try them tomorrow and report back with any findings...assuming the relative pad sizes are similar for men and women...

ah, thanks @Stephen C. They've obviously streamlined their range. That makes sense.

Annoying, but understandable.

Annoyingly, the "help chat" popup people have no knowledge of how the new range compares to the old. All "Ben" could tell me was "order it, and you can return it if it's not right". However, the Aeron shorts are a lot more than I paid for the aeron race, and they have probably erred in favour of thicker pad. I would, if I was them.

It's possible from the description that "classic" may be the same as the old aeron race, but they are plain black, and I liked the splash of colour in my shorts.

Stephen C

Über Member
Signs are good, I tried to compare the pad size by hand, but it is hard to compare new shorts to older ones with a few thousand miles in them!

The new pad feel a bit more sculpted, between the legs there isn't much pad at all, but it gets thicker towards the back where the sit bones are. Taking into account of the wear of my old aeron race shorts (one year old), I would say they are similar.

The fit is good, although I went with a size bigger then the size guide recommends. My waist was on the boundary between small and medium, but as I have....I'll call them sprinter's thighs, I went for the medium and they fit well, the pad covers the necessary areas without extra at the back.

The other difference is in the grip strip at the bottom of the legs. Before there was a band of rubber going all the way round. Now the back half is the normal material, and the front (the coloured part in fact) is pure thin rubber. This gripped very well and seemed to allow the back to move a little when going from standing to more folded up (not to say it felt like they were rubbing!). The rubber is quite thin, so what it will be like after a year of daily use, I don't know, but it seems up to the usual quality with good seams.

Lastly, and most importantly, they have changed the colour of the pad from red to grey, so now my partner can't make baboon bottom jokes when they are hanging up. I'll leave it to you to decide if this is good or bad....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They have rebranded them as just dhb shorts in the mens case ,i ordered a pair recently and it has the same pad as last years aeron, the essential shorts have the same pad as the aeron had in it a few years ago , a grey one and last years areon is a red pad .

This is mens shorts obviously.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Update
The new wiggle essentials are not the same , they are red and thinner than the old grey ones, not sure i would want to ride them any distance but ok for an hour or two.

Top Bottom