Anyone know typewriters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just bought an old Olivetti 35 for my youngest. Got a ribbon, seems to be ok (keys a little sticky, but I think that'll loosen up with use). Only problem is, no 'ding!' at the end of the line. Does anybody know if this is something you can set/unset, and if so how? Thanks if you can help.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
On my old typewriter there was a lever/knob or something to make it ring or not

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The ding is not at the end of the line. It should ding about ten or so characters from the end of the line. This gives you a chance to decide to complete a word, hyphenate it or put the next word on the next line.

I will try and remember more details about this. I learnt to type on a manual typewriter, but that was some time last century.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I learnt to type on a manual typewriter, but that was some time last century.

Me too. Damned if I can remember a thing...apart from the 'ding'! (It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ding - doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup dow.)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Me too. Damned if I can remember a thing...apart from the 'ding'! (It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ding - doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup doo-wup dow.)

I wonder if it only dings while you are typing. Or you could try setting the right margin wider than you want it. Then you can override the margin if needed. I think the bell is only really important when you are "touch typing" while reading from another (hand written) document.
I know the bell adds realism, but it is not essential.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I wonder if it only dings while you are typing. Or you could try setting the right margin wider than you want it. Then you can override the margin if needed. I think the bell is only really important when you are "touch typing" while reading from another (hand written) document.
I know the bell adds realism, but it is not essential.

Mine used to ding even if you did a line of spaces. You could change where the bell rang with a sliding lever that was up near the roller, similar to where the guides for the paper feed were but on the front, if I can remember correctly.

Top Bottom