Anyone Know What This Is? (flower)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I live in a new development on what was a sheep field. This appeared at the top of a retaining wall at the end of the garden. I don't think it's an orchid as there was no bulb when I pulled it up (wind broke the stalk the other day). Google images (picture comparison) is of no help.

I did have the idea that it may be seeded from our neighbour's bird table?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I live in a new development on what was a sheep field. This appeared at the top of a retaining wall at the end of the garden. I don't think it's an orchid as there was no bulb when I pulled it up (wind broke the stalk the other day). Google images (picture comparison) is of no help.

View attachment 593598

I did have the idea that it may be seeded from our neighbour's bird table?
Fumitory. I think.

Its a native weed.
Pretty though isn't it??

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
1623565195221.png

Like this..

Its a fairly common wildplant, usually seen in arable crops, because it responds to soil disturbance.

It shouldn't become a nuisance, it only spreads via seed, and is easy to pull up once the flowers are done .

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It is indeed a fumitory (strange name isn't it). I am trying to encourage it and others into a wild part of my garden. I don't think it'll have come from your neighbour's bird table. It's in the poppy family so seed can be in the soil for years before germinating. (Interesting fact - a mammoth, something like 50000 years old, was once found frozen solid in ice and the contents of its stomach was analysed and found to contain seeds which were successfully germinated and were poppies!)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It is indeed a fumitory (strange name isn't it). I am trying to encourage it and others into a wild part of my garden. I don't think it'll have come from your neighbour's bird table. It's in the poppy family so seed can be in the soil for years before germinating. (Interesting fact - a mammoth, something like 50000 years old, was once found frozen solid in ice and the contents of its stomach was analysed and found to contain seeds which were successfully germinated and were poppies!)
I've heard that the name is due to the massed foliage looking like hazy smoke from a distance.

I'm always quite happy to see it as a weed on the farm..
Even if I in the process of taking it out.

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 593599

Like this..

Its a fairly common wildplant, usually seen in arable crops, because it responds to soil disturbance.

It shouldn't become a nuisance, it only spreads via seed, and is easy to pull up once the flowers are done .

The thing looks pretty, I'd be inclined to dead head it before it sets seed and apart from that I'd leave it alone.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Gadzooks WD ..
You may well have cracked it.:okay:

They do look very similar though..

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
This is what it isn't, although that photo looks suspiciously like the OP's, even down to the fence!
Loose Flowered Orchid has thin strap-like leaves, not the finely dissected leaves shown by the OP,
and Alnwick is a long, long way from the Channel Islands.
Almost certainly a Fumitory, I reckon, but not sure which one of several very similar species.

Edit: tentatively identified as White Ramping Fumitory, Fumaria capreolata
1623585981668.png

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There are some grass leaves in the original pic, which could mislead the unwary .

The other leaves do look like fumitory though..

Can we have more pics please OP ??

Top Bottom