Anyone listen to Jazz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Andy in Sig said:
I'd also recommend some of the Best of Blue Note compilations. Names to look out for would be Art Blakey (specifically the track Moanin'), Kenny Burrell, Lee Morgan, Lou Donaldson, Cannonball Adderley.

Agree, these are also a good place to start.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
SNF3108A_280_427890a.jpg

Attachments

• SNF3108A_280_427890a.jpg
    SNF3108A_280_427890a.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 8

Pottsy

Jazz is a lot of notes listened to by a few people.
Rock is a few notes listened to by a lot of people.

Sorry, not relevent but I thought it was funny. ;)

I quite like some modern, funky jazz stuff. I used to buy a series of compliations called Rebirth of the Cool 1,2,3 etc. A good source of artists you haven't heard of from that particular genre.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Fab Foodie said:
...Herbie Hancock ( try, Watermelon Man)...

I went to see Herbie Hancock live and it was awful - I knew it was going to be bad when he had a percussionist with loads of bits of old rubbish hanging up. He was hitting pans and the like randomly. HH was playing piano like a cross between Les Dawson and a tone deaf boxer still wearing the gloves. It was a struggle to get through and then for an encore they played Watermelon Man, which is a great track - that was the music everyone wanted to hear all night.

girofan

Jazz is not an easy music! If you want easy stick with The X Factor.
If, on the other hand you are not intelectually lazy and prepared to work at it over a period of time the reward is immense!!
A note of caution on listening to a lot of Radio jazz. The majority is not jazz, just something they can't catagorize. Jazz FM is a travesty of "let's not play anything hard-core we don't want to frighten the natives or the advertisers." :biggrin:
Don't wish to lecture, just warn of the traps! Enjoy the rest of your musical lives. :laugh: NIIICE.

Fab Foodie

girofan said:
Jazz is not an easy music! If you want easy stick with The X Factor.
If, on the other hand you are not intelectually lazy and prepared to work at it over a period of time the reward is immense!!
A note of caution on listening to a lot of Radio jazz. The majority is not jazz, just something they can't catagorize. Jazz FM is a travesty of "let's not play anything hard-core we don't want to frighten the natives or the advertisers." :biggrin:
Don't wish to lecture, just warn of the traps! Enjoy the rest of your musical lives. :laugh: NIIICE.

I'd agree with that, but like most music and art for that matter it just takes the right access points and an open mind and you can begin to see the magic. If you want to start listening to Classical Music, then Mahler or Schoenberg might not be the best starting points! Shop around! There have been some good suggestions here for access points and youtube and i-tunes makes sampling much easier.
Rock and pop music is a pretty simple construct, most are no more complex than hymns. Jazz and Classical music have an extra complexity that gives another level of satisfaction. Mrs FF is just clicking with Classical music thanks to the inspiration of 'The Choir' and occasionally I hear her humming 'Take 5' or one of the Miles Davis pieces I'm learning on the sax. It's only taken me nearly 30 years to wean her onto these musical forms!

Have a go!

Fab Foodie

Kirstie said:
Jazz makes me tense. Not for me...

There must be some Jazz out there that you would find relaxing. Kind of Blue and Jazz at the Pawnshop are 2 of my most relaxing albums.

From the Pawnshop, not my fave laid back track (annoyingly not on yuotube), but one which on my big-ole warm and bouncy stereo washes over me beautifully, glass in hand at the end of a hard day...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINI0uG3b1s&feature=related

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
girofan said:
Jazz is not an easy music! If you want easy stick with The X Factor..

That X-factor stuff ain't easy! I'm quite happy to listen to Albert Ayler while I'm making breakfast but no matter how hard I work at it I'll never be able to manage a few minutes of the X-factor. It's just a load of noise to me.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
palinurus said:
That X-factor stuff ain't easy! I'm quite happy to listen to Albert Ayler while I'm making breakfast but no matter how hard I work at it I'll never be able to manage a few minutes of the X-factor. It's just a load of noise to me.

[grin]

Top Bottom