Anyone listen to Jazz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I been hearing a fair bit on the radio and want to get a few albums to listen to.

Any recommendations? I don't mind classics, or old. Not to obscure as I think that'll be the hardest to get into.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm partial to a bit of Ella Fitzgerald myself, and Billie Holiday.

What sort of jazz do you like? I can't be doing with the Miles Davis/John Coltrane stuff, which sounds to me like people shouting "LOOK!! Look how clever we are! That was a diminished 9th scale over a mixolydian mode chord!!", but I do rather like the Dutch Swing College Band and people like Sidney Bechet.

OP
OP
Steve Austin

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I don't like Michael Bauble. Not sure what i been listening to tbh. it was on the radio, it was Jazz and i liked it. Modern jazz, not just renditions of old Jazz

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Jazz isn't so much a broad church as a huge number of tiny sects each with an exclusive message about the only true jazz.

Uncle Mort said:
-1 :biggrin:

It's a hugely broad church and it's like saying you don't like rock music or European food.

I agree with this bit; as I said, I like some jazz. (Although I have tried Miles Davis, Charlie Parker et al and it did absolutely nothing for me.) But the problem I have with jazz is the same as that which I have with folk music - namely that some of those who play it appear to believe that it's somehow intrinsically better than other sorts of music, and consequently come across as very worthy and, well, dull.

Greedo

Partial to a bit of Chet Baker

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There's a lot of it about. Perhaps start with the stuff you like from the radio.

I got into jazz through internet radio, wanted to hear stuff I'd definitely not heard before and since i'd never bothered with jazz that's what I went for. My first few albums were from John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman- just because they had a few Coltrane albums in the library and I liked the Coleman stuff I heard on the radio. Once you make a start you'll find your way to other stuff.

I started with Coltrane's Live at Birdland, so that's my recommendation.

And if you want a good read there's this

Randochap

Senior hunter
Rhythm Thief said:
What sort of jazz do you like? I can't be doing with the Miles Davis/John Coltrane stuff, which sounds to me like people shouting "LOOK!! Look how clever we are! That was a diminished 9th scale over a mixolydian mode chord!!", but I do rather like the Dutch Swing College Band and people like Sidney Bechet.

Just goes to show how music is in the ear of the beholder. I have traced the careers of all the musicians who came out of Miles' pioneering "Silent Way" sessions and these artists form the majority of my extensive jazz library.

I can't imagine life without the enhancement of the incredible aural environment these masters have given the world over the last 30-odd years and wish everyone could grasp the phenomenal artistry and fearless exploration inherent in the music.

But what are you gonna do? To some people, a Van Gogh is just gaudy painting outside the lines.

Cranky

Difficult to know where to start with recommendations, so I'll just throw one idea in for now: anything by the Esbjorn Svensson Trio (EST). It's modern jazz with other contemporary influences which has a large crossover audience so is quite accessible as a starting point.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Miles Davis -Kind of Blue is a classic imho. Not too leftfield like some of his fusion stuff which can be quite fun but is an acquired taste. Though I'd recommend What I say from his live evil album though it's fusion.

There's also Keith Jarrett who plays some jazz piano pieces, Billie Holiday-my preference is for her earlier stuff and Nina Simone. There are a few others lurking but I forget the names - I'll try and haul out the music collection and think of some other things.

If you can note down the names of what you hear on the radio that might be a good starting point as Jazz as a genre can be so wide and varying in style.

Top Bottom