Anyone near Amersham with a 2-prong Suntour freewheel removal tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
What is a 2-prong suntour freewheel removal tool, and how would I know if I've got one?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
...that I can borrow for 5 seconds?

Andrew.
Sorry I haven't. I'm facing a similar problem on next change, but I know a good local bike shop who has offered to do it for me (as you say, it's a 5 second job).

I think an average bike shop will do it for you if you buy the new freewheel from them.

A poor bike shop would do it but charge you for it.

A crap bike shop won't have the tool.

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
A couple of months ago I was charged £5 by an LBS to remove it from wheel A. I then got a bit too excited and put it on wheel B without checking whether the hub needed servicing. Of course it does. I now feel stupid and want to avoid spending another £5 as otherwise I might as well have bought the tool from the off.

Reactions: mjr

srw

A couple of months ago I was charged £5 by an LBS to remove it from wheel A. I then got a bit too excited and put it on wheel B without checking whether the hub needed servicing. Of course it does. I now feel stupid and want to avoid spending another £5 as otherwise I might as well have bought the tool from the off.
Unlike @mjray I'm in Amersham. I have a freewheel remover tool a bit like the one he links to - but I don't know if it's the same one or one of the other designs. I'm also laid up in bed with a stinking cold and don't know if I'll be able to get out to the garage to look for it until a bit later.

Reactions: mjr

srw

I finally got out of the house at lunchtime today. I'm afraid it's an FR-01, not an FR-02. Sorry.

One of these may help, adapted by myself many years ago, before I got the Freewheel tool. I seem to remember it being quite useful for getting the axle and cones out while leaving the freewheel on the wheel.
20160301_150358.jpg

Top Bottom