Anyone on drugs for high blood pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Iv been talking to a number of different people about this, as I have an interest too. And the best thing to do, taking into account its just general health we are talking about, and nothing untoward causing it, but regular execise even if its gentle will greatly help in most cases. As long as its religiously done, ie not bothering for a week, on and off type scenario. But more strenuous execise will help even more, like a few good hills that you can power up. So including my short commute five days a week, I will be doing as much time in the saddle as I can on these lovely (hopefully) evenings that are on their way.
Obviously if overweight it needs to be lost if possible, and eat healthily, I wont go into specific diet but you know the different ones you can try. Myself Im going to try the old high carb low fat one, it worked for me before.
And I am actually more excited about cycling than I have been for years, and cant wait to get out tomorrow and use my virtuoso properly for the first time with any real distance, at least ten miles I have planned , hopefully more.
Oh and stopping smoking is the next main hurdle for me, I think it will be hard because I have the willpower of a slug thats just had his sunday dinner, and a second helping of pudding, then asked if he fancies a triathalon this afternoon.
Anyway Iv gone on enough methinks, Ill try and put together a review of my bike sometime, as I cant remember seeing much about them anywhere, unless someone can point me at them?
Oh and smiling helps too :sad:

bonj2

Apparently one drug that is pretty much guaranteed to lower the blood pressure is cannabis.

earth

bonj said:
Apparently one drug that is pretty much guaranteed to lower the blood pressure is cannabis.

Have to say I think its the opposite. It's a stimulant and increases the heart rate and blood pressure.

bonj2

earth said:
Have to say I think its the opposite. It's a stimulant and increases the heart rate and blood pressure.

Well you think wrong then. Cannabis isn't a stimulant, it's a relaxant! Speed's a stimulant. Cannabis is the opposite!

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Well you think wrong then. Cannabis isn't a stimulant, it's a relaxant! Speed's a stimulant. Cannabis is the opposite!

It appears to relax you, but it raises the heart beat like nicotine does.

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
but it does lower the blood pressure, that's a fact.

I dont think it does, as part of the heart rate going up, it also increases blood pressure I think?

bonj2

col said:
I dont think it does, as part of the heart rate going up, it also increases blood pressure I think?

i don't think it does increase the heart rate directly. nicotine only increases the heart rate generally, i.e. when you're NOT under the influence of it. When you are, it brings it back down - but not quite down to the level that it would be if you never had it. cannabis brings it down but it isn't physically addictive only psychologically, so it doesn't raise your hear rate when your'e not on it.

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
i don't think it does increase the heart rate directly. nicotine only increases the heart rate generally, i.e. when you're NOT under the influence of it. When you are, it brings it back down - but not quite down to the level that it would be if you never had it. cannabis brings it down but it isn't physically addictive only psychologically, so it doesn't raise your hear rate when your'e not on it.

Nicotine is one of the strongest stimulants and will raise heartbeat and bloodpressure almost instantly when using it, cannabis is not as strong but will increase these too, but its a double wammy when most mix it with tobacco to make a spliff and get the best or worst of both worlds when they light up. But when your not using them your heart rate and bp return to normal after a while, I dont know how long, but probably doesnt matter as regular users of both will light up again pretty soon, so keeping it up.

OP
OP
Y

yello

And if you do exercise regularly, eat healthily (and don't smoke!) and it's still high - what then? No underlying cause - that they can find - so it's a bit of a odd one! Just taken it now and it's a very reasonable 142/84. I reckon I'm just overly sensitive to stress etc and my BP pings around accordingly! So Colin's idea of smiling is a good one!!

allen-uk

Ça va, yello?

1) My credentials: a lifetime's self-abuse; alcohol, cigarettes, hugely overweight, blood-pressure medications since 1985.

2) Current results: one leg missing, one blind eye.

3) Good news, a.
My BP was like yours, or higher. 200/120 pre-medications, way back. Nowadays, 22 years off smoking, 6 years off drink, still hugely overweight: 135/75 with small meds (although white-coat syndrome still kicks in and ups it to 150/90).

4) Good news, b.
After kicking the drink, I also went on a proper diet, and lost large amounts of weight. I kept a log of my weight, BP, and blood glucose levels, and how much medication, if any, I took. There was an indisputable correlation between high weight and high BP. I started at 120Kg, 150/95 with meds. I finished at sub 90Kg at 115/65, without meds. (Since then the lack of a left leg has for various reasons helped me put a lot of weight back, and sure enough, the BP has crept upwards, too).

5) Bad news, a.
The blind eye, alluded to by the Doc earlier, came on after I had kicked drink and lost the weight. Apparently, the medics say, the years I was living with HIGH BP, untreated, probably caused the damage, which was irreversible even though I now live a saintly life.
Conclusion: there is always a price to pay, even though the bill might not come till later.

6) Bad news, b.
'Essential hypertension', i.e. where the medics can't find a reason for it, and where you are to all intents and purposes fit, not a secret alcoholic, reasonable weight, etc., is a bugger, and DOES need those 'meds for life' to which you object. Live with them. Again, to repeat the Doc, a small dose of chemicals each day is a small insurance premium to pay.

7) Bad news, c.
The eyesight problems have wider ramifications. First, if you have one blind eye, the chances of you going totally blind are increased by large amounts (on the basis that the OTHER eye might go 'pop' one day, too). Second, other eye problems can occur. Then (personal experience coming up) although the authorities will let you drive a car with ONE good eye, they won't let you drive with one blind eye and one dodgy eye. Hence, in my case, I am probably facing old age with one leg and only my trusty bike for transport. Not a nice thought.

Overall conclusions:

a) if you're overweight, lose it.

:sad: if you drink, albeit 'reasonably', consider giving up.

c) if you haven't already, get a decent home BP meter to keep an eye on your progress.

d) By all means try relaxation and the other 'alternative' therapies; they will do you no harm, and might help. But if drugs (meds) are the ONLY solution, then take them, and be thankful you're living in the 21st century and can afford the medicines to keep you well.

A votre santé.

Allen.

earth

bonj said:
but it does lower the blood pressure, that's a fact.

According to this:

http://www.idmu.co.uk/canncardio.htm

you're right about blood pressure but not heart rate:

"One of the most consistent effects of cannabis intoxication is an increased heart rate. For this reason alone it would not be normally recommended for patients with cardiovascular problems. However, THC also acts as a smooth-muscle relaxant, relaxing the walls of the arteries, which can result in lower blood pressure and increased blood flow to the tissues[ii][iii]."

It goes on to say how tolerance to heart rate increase is developed. What it says on the effect on blood pressure is not as simple as just lowering it. It does say there is an increased work-load on the heart.

I wouldn't advocate cannabis for lowering blood pressure though.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Blimey Allen, that puts things firmly into perspective. That's just dreadful to read. It's just not worth messing around is it? I should take the meds.

My reading post ride today is 127/79. Experience has shown me that this will creep up again. I've decided to record my bp, same time everyday and if I am not showing any reduction then it's back to the docs... for meds if needs be. It's not worth loosing an eye or a limb over.

allen-uk

A tip, yello: round your figures up or down to the nearest 5, so make that last one 125/80; it's just as accurate. (And it makes future comparisons easier if you're looking at loads of figures!)

125/80 post ride is good, particularly if you mean shortly after you got off your bike. Although why it should creep UP from that reasonable base is another matter. Possibly the vigorous exercise somehow de-stresses you at the same time. Hopefully the Doc's still reading...

A.

BIGSESAL

col said:

Not really. Heart rate tends to go up during exercise, you would think there is more blood in the blood vessels and therefore blood pressure must go up. Actually there is vasodilation of the vessels (meaning they enlarge) and blood pressure stays relatively constant.

Top Bottom