Anyone on drugs for high blood pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just4fun

Thats very high for a resting diastolic, i would advise you make a follow up apointment asap with your regualr GP in order to investigate further as there might be another underlying cause which may be easier to treat. If you have medical condition, medicine might be the safest route.

allen-uk

If you're referring to the 125/80 figures, then no it's not very high for a resting diastolic. It's almost spot-on 'normal', which is classed as 120/80.

I'll try and attach a PDF leaflet which goes into the figures more.

A.
pdf.gif

col

Legendary Member
BIGSESAL said:
Not really. Heart rate tends to go up during exercise, you would think there is more blood in the blood vessels and therefore blood pressure must go up. Actually there is vasodilation of the vessels (meaning they enlarge) and blood pressure stays relatively constant.

In normal circumstances yes, but I was meaning in combination with nicotine and spliffs too.

stephenb

Guru
I had high bp for years and the doc diagnosed "athlete's heart". Consultant said they didn't know whether the enlarged heart caused the high bp or the other way round but because I don't have any of the other usual risk factors the treatment was the same - medication. Been on it for 12 months and no side effects, maybe I'm lucky. Even at almost 50 I can turn out 100+ miles most weeks and feel fine. Get a full health check, don't mess around - strokes aren't funny

allen-uk

Yello: just a rider on the alternative therapy front.

This morning, out for a ride (only a couple of miles, which is probably equivalent to 10 for a two-leggèd youngster): 140/75. An hour later, and having had a hypnotic relaxation session, 125/70. I take the chemicals too, but I've seen the post-hypno effect several times over the years.

A.

Marko62

To anyone who has high blood pressure you need to get it sorted and the sooner the better, I had undiagnosed high bp for probably only a few months but it was enough to kill my kidneys leading to dialysis and a kidney transplant.

BP meds are a very very small price to pay for your health, trust me on that....

OP
OP
Y

yello

I hear you Marko. I'm monitoring it. I've been stable at around 140/80 during this last week. Border line but ok.

Marko62

That's really good to hear ;)

tomkb

bonj said:
Apparently one drug that is pretty much guaranteed to lower the blood pressure is cannabis.

dont encourage the guy to start smoking weed! im a pretty fit 21yr old and whenever i smoke cigarettes or anything, when i next go for a good ride or run i really feel the pinch in my lungs.

for the guy with high blood pressure, there really is no substitute for getting that blood pumping by taking on some big hills/ or equivalent exercise.

all the best

Top Bottom