anyone on here do the mary townley loop yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
RedBike said:
Sorry, I didn't even realise my name was down!

I am planning to ride it (and the rest of the Pennine Bridleway) next wed/thursday though.
That sounds like an awful lot of off-road for two days! What kind of distances will you be doing?

You've expressed reservations about doing 100 miles of hilly road riding elsewhere but I'd say that 50+ miles of hilly off-road is way harder!

RedBike

ColinJ said:
That sounds like an awful lot of off-road for two days! What kind of distances will you be doing?

You've expressed reservations about doing 100 miles of hilly road riding elsewhere but I'd say that 50+ miles of hilly off-road is way harder!

It sounds like a HUGE amount of off-roading to me. Espehially as I will have a full load of camping gear with me. I haven't dared look at the mileage yet; and i'm not going to until i'm 3/4 of the way around.

RedBike

Pulling that trailer over Catlow Fell to Gisburn forest caused me to come down with a dose of tourettes syndrome. Every time I thought I was at the top I came over the brow of the hill / tunred the bend to see the road went on for another mile or two up hill.

I'm not too sure that sort of ride can be classed as hilly. Perhaps mountainous is the polite way of putting it, although I can think of plenty of other 'terms'.

ColinJ

RedBike said:
Pulling that trailer over Catlow Fell to Gisburn forest caused me to come down with a dose of tourettes syndrome. Every time I thought I was at the top I came over the brow of the hill / tunred the bend to see the road went on for another mile or two up hill.

I'm not too sure that sort of ride can be classed as hilly. Perhaps mountainous is the polite way of putting it, although I can think of plenty of other 'terms'.
I've only ridden that road once before, with a much fitter mate. He got way ahead of me on the ascent and waited a while at the top before setting off down the other side when I was still about 100 yards from the summit. When I got up there the views were fantastic, especially east towards the limestone pavement above Settle. Apparently, my mate had thought so too...

When I looked down the hill, I saw that he was having a rest at the side of the road. Well, actually he was sat on the edge of his road, with his head between his knees. His bike was resting against a dry stone wall. What was he playing at? I shot down the hill towards him and saw him stagger to his feet, then start wandering about in circles. There was a big strange-looking red mark on his bald head. No, he wasn't wearing a helmet!

I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and raced down to him. As I got closer, I saw that he was bleeding from a head wound and the front wheel of his bike was severely buckled!

It turned out that when he'd looked over towards Settle, he was so transfixed by the stunning views of the Dales that he'd forgotten to look where he was going. He'd ridden off the road into a ditch and had catapulted himself over the handlebars and head-butted a wall!

He was really lucky not to have seriously injured himself. He'd actually got a very large bump swelling up on top of his head, but the blood was coming from the bridge of his nose where his sunglasses had been smashed into his face by the impact.

We were about 20 miles from his car but fortunately he was able to straighten his wheel enough to make it just about rideable. I washed the blood out of his eyes and we managed to limp back to the car park at Whalley just before it got dark.

The trauma kind of obliterated the details of that ride from my memory. I remember that it was very scenic, but that's all. I'm looking forward to riding there again on the 26th. Hopefully you can make it too! I'm going to do most of my sight-seeing when I'm stationary though. ;)

RedBike

You'll get plenty of chance for sight seeing while you're waiting for me!

I think the ride on the 26th is going clockwise?
If so it's the oppostie direction to what I went. I think that roads probably steeper (but shorter) heading North.
Waddington fell was another good-un. Thankfully, I had fresh legs for that one!

ColinJ

RedBike said:
You'll get plenty of chance for sight seeing while you're waiting for me!

I think the ride on the 26th is going clockwise?
If so it's the oppostie direction to what I went. I think that roads probably steeper (but shorter) heading North.
Waddington fell was another good-un. Thankfully, I had fresh legs for that one!
No, I was planning to do it anti-clockwise so it would be Gargrave, Malham, Settle, Catlow Fell (Bowland Knotts), Waddington and so on. We won't be doing Waddington Fell on the 26th but I do like it and usually go over it a couple of times a year.

trio25

Über Member
Free dates for me are
29th August, 12th September, 19th September. Can it please be one of these???

Where do we want to start?

Redbike noone will be waiting for you you are way too fast - ignore him ColinJ he can easily ride 100 hilly rides, he did 254miles over two days this week on a mixture of roads/off-road!

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hey trio, everyone,

i'm up for 12th sept. i will be back to my previous fitness by then. can we do it cw as i will be ss and it was hard with gears ccw. i think your idea of a pub stop halfway a good idea too.

cheers

shaun

trio25

Über Member
ColinJ 12th ok for you? If so I'll start a new thread! I will most probably be singlespeeding as well, clockwise makes sense! Probably start near Colin due to his lack of transport???

Yes me and red enjoyed the pub stop, although climbing was hard after it!

ColinJ

Sorry guys - I can't make the 12th. I'm visiting my family in the midlands that weekend (and doing the Shakespeare 100 while I'm at it).

I can make it on 29th August or 19th September though (or later in September).

If I'm not getting a lift, then starting at Callis Bridge on the A646 would best for me since it is the closest point to Hebden Bridge (only about 1.5 miles).

It's possible that goodspeed will be doing the ride in which case he might offer me a lift and then we could start anywhere.

If we do start at Callis, we could stop at the Ram Inn at Holme Chapel which is at about the 2/3 point (clockwise). Only trouble with that is that we go straight up the hillside across the road afterwards.

Alternatively, you probably know somewhere at Waterfoot (or nearby) which would be halfway round.

PS I'd been wondering what s/s ratios you were riding. I have a 39/15 on my midlands road bike but there is no way I could do the MTL on that ratio. I might try doing a MTB ride and stay on one gear which would be 32/16, 32/18 or 32/21. I think I'd struggle.

When I was skinny about 7 or 8 years ago I stopped using the granny ring and very rarely used the 28 and 32 sprockets so the lowest MTB gear then would generally have been 32/24 - that's still quite a bit lower than 32/16!

Top Bottom