Anyone on here into bread making (by hand) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Hi Frog,

Many thanks for another very informative reply.

I feel confident that with the collective help that I've had from everyone tonight, I should be able to produce some great bread.

Thanks again everyone :blush:

radger

Veteran
When you say active dry yeast, do you mean the stuff that comes in a tin and is lots of tiny balls? And needs to go in warm water before you use it? That stuff is awful.
You want quick yeast - a pack costs about £1 and lasts for ages because you only use one teaspoon per 500g flour

When I make bread, I don't add any fat or oil - so it's just flour, yeast and warm water to make the dough. (unless it's for a pizza base, and then I add olive oil.)
The main error I used to make when I started was not adding enough water - it's surprising how the stickiness goes away when you knead the dough; and it makes for lighter bread. And the quick yeast doesn't give the overpowering yeasty smell, which I never avoided with the one that needs rehydrating.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Making Bread

Nah Then Van Nick,

This breadmaking lark is best carried out as simply as possible. As Radger said, there's no need to add any oil or fat for top quality bread. There are two reasons fat is added: 1) to reduce the stickiness of the dough, and 2) it gives a bit softer crumb i.e. the white spongy bit if using white flour.
However the stickiness lessens as the bread is kneaded and the extra softness can produce a crumb which becomes pastey when chewed. A bit like some of the shop bought garbage.

These are all the ingredients I use:

1 level teaspoon quick yeast
750 grams strong bread flour (preferably unbleached organic)
15 grams salt
525 grams lukewarm water (yes weigh it!)

You've to knead the mixture for a good fifteen minutes to develop the gluten. I use a food mixer with a dough hook as it helps reduce the amount of chain grease from your fingers!

When resting or proving the dough, it should be done as slowly as possible as this helps to develop the flavour, so whilst the text books may tell you to put the dough in a warm place, you can allow it to rise overnight in the fridge. I generally put it in a cool room for as long as it takes to double in volume.

Then when "knocking back" (kneading before shaping for the oven) don't "knock it back". Just press it gently with your fingers. This maintains the integrity of the dough and produces a more open textured bread.

A couple of posters have mentioned spelt flour. Don't be afraid to try it as the flavour is superb and the quantities and technique is identical.

I've been making my own bread for years and there's no secret. If your bread tastes of yeast, use less. In fact as little as is needed to successfully raise the dough is perfect.

Best of luck, don't give up.

I never realised what variety of topics existed in the cycling world.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Hi Radger and Gerry,

First of all many thanks for both of your replies.

I have tried following recipes that specify quick yeast and whilst the resulting loaves don't smell of yeast, the bread is much denser and you feel like you've had a three course meal after eating just a few slices.

Whenever I have made bread with the Dried Active Yeast (little ball bearings in a tin), the resulting loaves have always had a wonderfully light, open texture with lots of air bubbles, which is why I really wanted to crack this bread making with the Dried Active Yeast.

I've come to the conclusion now that this Dried Active yeast is much more concentrated than some of the recipes suggest and I've had another go tonight (I'm not giving up) with a recipe that specifies 2 teaspoons of Dried Active yeast, but I've only used 1 teaspoon. The dough is still proving and it's going in the oven soon.

If that still doesn't work then I will have a go with your recipes with the Quick yeast and see how that goes.

Yes, it is amazing to have so many topics on a cycling forum, but I think they're quite an educated bunch on here that seem to be knowledgable about most subjects.

Many thanks again to everyone that has tried to help me so far, I really do appreciate your help, as I'm determined to crack this and overcome these frustrations.

SamNichols

Van Nick said:
Hi Radger and Gerry,

First of all many thanks for both of your replies.

I have tried following recipes that specify quick yeast and whilst the resulting loaves don't smell of yeast, the bread is much denser and you feel like you've had a three course meal after eating just a few slices.

Whenever I have made bread with the Dried Active Yeast (little ball bearings in a tin), the resulting loaves have always had a wonderfully light, open texture with lots of air bubbles, which is why I really wanted to crack this bread making with the Dried Active Yeast.

I've come to the conclusion now that this Dried Active yeast is much more concentrated than some of the recipes suggest and I've had another go tonight (I'm not giving up) with a recipe that specifies 2 teaspoons of Dried Active yeast, but I've only used 1 teaspoon. The dough is still proving and it's going in the oven soon.

If that still doesn't work then I will have a go with your recipes with the Quick yeast and see how that goes.

Yes, it is amazing to have so many topics on a cycling forum, but I think they're quite an educated bunch on here that seem to be knowledgable about most subjects.

Many thanks again to everyone that has tried to help me so far, I really do appreciate your help, as I'm determined to crack this and overcome these frustrations.

Yes, unlike most other cycling forums, the majority of our time is spent not talking about cycling.

I've found this thread very useful and will make some bread as soon as I can using one or two of the recipes.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Van Nick,

I might have sowed a seed of confusion here. The quick yeast I refer to is the pure dried yeast with no added chemicals which is added directly to your dry ingredients. However I have tried all kinds of yeast including fresh, and I have noticed no difference in the finished bread. The different textures you note are more likely to arise from the final shaping. As I already described, don't be hard on the dough, just press it gently.

Is that fresh bread cooking I can smell from somewhere over the border in Leicestershire?

NickM

Veteran
Pete said:
...I assume when you say 'by hand' you mean using your own elbow-grease, not one of those wretched breadmaker machine thingy's...
What's wrong with them? MsM uses one and makes great, consistent loaves. We haven't bought our daily bread for several years now.

She takes the dough out out the machine and bakes it in a tray so that there isn't a stirrer stuck in the loaf. She uses Hovis Fast Action sachet yeast.

Pete

SamNichols said:
Yes, unlike most other cycling forums, the majority of our time is spent not talking about cycling.
The real victory will be won, when Yenners catches on to this thread and posts something on it - constructive or otherwise ...:blush::smile:

NickM said:
What's wrong with them [bread-makers]? MsM uses one and makes great, consistent loaves.
I was expecting someone to pick up on that - eventually. Let's just say - matter of personal preference, that's more or less it. My wife and I have been making the bread in the same way for years now. It comes out fine and suits us down to the last slice. We're not about to change: doesn't mean everyone else is wrong though!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I like the bread making machines...all they do is knead and then slowly bake. I set it to be done for when I get up, then have delicious warm bread with my brekky, plus the wonderful smell, which masks my nocturnal gaseations.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Velvet Curtain said:
Anolther Leicesterite - good man, we will take over the world, starting with this forum led by King Roger and Queen Arch.:blush:

I suspect I'm only queen because I'm the only girl on here from Leicester, and I'm not there any more. I wasn't even born there.

My Mum has never been able to make bread with the consistancy of anything other than a brick. Even when she got a bread machine, it blew up. She's given up now...

Sorry, that's about all I can contribute on bread...

Slim

Über Member
I tried to find a link to the original article but failed.

Nigel Slater's flatbread recipe makes a really good Ciabatta type bread that's pretty light and really good for mopping up gravy pasta sauce.

500g strong flour
tsp sea salt
1 x 7g sachet dried yeast
350ml warm water
olive oil (a "glug")

add the salt to the flour in a mixer
add a little of the water to the yeast to make a thin paste then add the remaining water.

Add the water to the flour in a mixer (on slow) or a metal bowl.
Add the oil.
Tip on to a floured board and knead until it feels springy and elastic.
Set aside in a bowl covered with a clean tea towel. Put it somewhere warm for an hour or so.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.

When ready to cook break off a chunk of the risen dough and knock back just slightly.

Dust with flour and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 5 minutes then turn the oven down to 220 degrees for another 5 minutes. It's ready when it sounds hollow underneath.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

I've had another go at the recipe that uses Dried Active Yeast but I only used half as much as that specified (1 tsp instead of 2) and not only did the bread still rise perfectly, but there was no smell of yeast.

So that Dried Active Yeast (the little ball bearings in the tin) is obviously very powerful and concentrated stuff and you can obviously afford to halve the amount.

How can the recipes be so wrong ???

Thanks very much to everyone that has contributed to this thread, it's been very interesting to read your comments and suggestions.

Top Bottom