Anyone out there with a NOOK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
You don't even need to root your Nook if you want to read Kobo content on it, and you don't need to break the copy protection either (which you'd need to do if you were using a Kindle). Use Adobe Digital Editions.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I started with a Kindle and then switched to an iPad when I bought that, as it seemed silly to carry two tablet-style devices and I rarely read in direct sunlight. But although that's the best option for me, a Kindle would still be my default recommendation to anyone who doesn't have a use for a full tablet.

As to formats, I'm completely agnostic. I use Calibre software to convert as required, and I still have around 1500 paper books too.
I'm not a huge fan of convergence myself as you tend to lose something along the way. So I have a Kindle for reading, a Nexus 7 for small browsing and other related stuff when I'm out and about, an iPad for larger stuff and a PC for when I need real power. Obviously I don't carry it all with me but it's not a lot of planning to know what I'll need for a particular time/day

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
But although that's the best option for me, a Kindle would still be my default recommendation to anyone who doesn't have a use for a full tablet.
For someone who wants to buy on the device alone, wants the deals Amazon offer and doesn't have a problem with Amazon & its formats, I agree completely.
As to formats, I'm completely agnostic. I use Calibre software to convert as required, and I still have around 1500 paper books too.
I'd sooner not support something proprietary, given the option (personal preference). Like you, I use Calibre, and that's the main reason I'm in the Android portion of my Nook less and less, it's easier to convert off the device and use the native reader.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
So I have a Kindle for reading, a Nexus 7 for small browsing and other related stuff when I'm out and about, an iPad for larger stuff and a PC for when I need real power. Obviously I don't carry it all with me but it's not a lot of planning to know what I'll need for a particular time/day
I'm similar - MacBook Pro 17 with 27-inch monitor in the office, MBP 17 on its own for most travelling, MacBook Air 11 if I'm out for the day (and for cycle touring!) and need the power of a laptop ... and an iPad that goes with me virtually everywhere.

I did, though, find that it felt cumbersome carrying both iPad and Kindle everywhere, and using the iPad for ebooks (both iBooks and Kindle apps) didn't involve any great compromise - especially now that the iPad Air is so light.

Top Bottom