Anyone own a beach hut ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Lots are owned by people who do live by the coast, my mate lives in Bournemouth and has one on the seafront there. His Parents and Brothers Family all live there as well so use it too. Rents it out as well for additional income, win win.
Yes my in-laws lived just 3 miles away from the beach hut, he wanted a boat and the wife got a beach hut

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ive often though that if people are that bothered then why not just move to the coast and be done with it?
Some do, it all depends on your position in society and wealth. If you're a football manager you buy a house on Sandbanks but if you're one of the tiresome lower orders you buy a beach hut on Jaywick sands.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
But thats only Devon so doesn't count.
Its only people with names like @Dirk that live there :rolleyes:.
Seriously though.... I doubt they are insured
The huts won’t be insured but the hut isn’t what has the value. It’s the parcel of land the hut sits on that you are buying which has the real value.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The huts won’t be insured but the hut isn’t what has the value. It’s the parcel of land the hut sits on that you are buying which has the real value.
I doubt they will buy the actual land if it is a true beach hut.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I don't have a TV beach hut.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I doubt they will buy the actual land if it is a true beach hut.
More like the right to have a beach hut in that location.

If the golden rule of insurance is don't insure what you can afford to replace yourself, the hut can be repaired or completely replaced relatively cheaply. Hence not worth it. Although if your beach hut caught fire and set alight a whole row of them, that could be a bit expensive to sort.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
William the Conqueror set out the modern ownership laws. Most big land owners can trace their lineage back to Big Willy.

It was a tongue in cheek reply, but, basically, my point was... at some point various individuals took "ownership" by force, eventually, civilisation "progressed" so that they convinced us they had a god given right to rule.... and... eventually.... we ended up with the Land Commission, or whatever it is called now.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Very few beach huts have the right to have a overnight visit, the odd ones that do go for a bomb, and if you can think that to plumbing /running water etc then its mega valuable.

a lot of the rows of common huts, you just rent by the season, and usually have first dibs on same position next season.

the ones in Whitby get flat packed away over winter in an underground cavern / pathway up to the cliff lift.

Top Bottom