Anyone own a Cube Attempt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I had to take my ancient Carlton to my LBS today for some work and in passing I asked them about a new road bike. They recommended the Cube Attempt which I have to say looks very nice indeed. I plan on returning later this week to try it out. Does anyone have any experience of this bike? If I go for it, I'll get it through my company's Cycle Plus scheme so I should end up saving nearly £400 on the bike's £1000 price tag.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Mabe I should ask a slightly different question, does anyone have any comments on the spec of this bike for the money?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=44406

The Cycle Plus scheme limits my budget to £1000, so paying a bit more for a better spec bike is not really an option.

colinr

I know someone with a Streamer and they're very happy with it (same bike with Ultegra IIRC). £1k for full 105 seems about right. They look fantastic too, I was all set to buy a 2009 model last year but anything near my size had sold out.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Under the cycle scheme, do you not have the option to make up the difference yourself?

e-rider

crappy member
What are you going to use it for? I ask because you've gone from a Carlton to spending £1000.

If you're not involved in cycling as a sport or fitness activity in a reasonably serious way (eg. a weekly or fortnightly occurance), there is absolutely no need to spend this kind of money.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

I don't consider myself a serious cyclist, but I have over the last couple of years become a passionate cyclist. Firstly, it was the thing that enabled me to drop 17kg to my ideal weight of 73kg and now its the thing that allows me to keep it there. But its also something I really enjoy and gives me a whole load of energy in other things that I've not had for many years. In winter I probably ride about 3 times a week (35 miles total), but during the summer I'm probably averaging closer to 80 miles per week and that's not because I have to (the weight is now firmly under control), but its because I want to. The reason I held off getting a new bike so long was because I really enjoy my old bike; I don't mind if it gets scratched and I don't get paranoid about it getting stolen. My workhorse will still continue to be be my old bike, but the new bike will be the special one that gives me the additional buzz (of course I shall also be using it to make the obligatory commutes to work). I think you're right though, I wont get the full benefits of a £1000 bike, but it will make me feel good. Also, the Cycle Plus scheme will enable me to get a great looking £1000 bike for about £600 and that alone will make me feel good before I even get on it.

colinr

If you enjoy it and can afford it, go for it. You won't regret it, that Cube will absolutely fly.

spacecat

Hi everyone

I have been lurking for sometime before deciding to join the forums, this thread urged me to do this.

I have had a gorgeous Cube Attempt for just over a week now and absolutely love it. Admitedly it is the first road bike I have owned in over 20 years, my previous one being a Raleigh Record, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I like the sharp response, acceleration and the loud clack from the freehub! I reckon it's worth about 3 or 4mph on my previous bikes. Maybe I just try harder!

For the past four years I have been into mountain biking in the lakes and have used my MTB and old hybrid to commute on.

Very few of us probably need these £1000 road bikes. I know I didn't, I wanted one, and many people justify their own purchases by saying they need something rather than want it. There is very little any of us actually need in this life.

It makes me smile everytime I get on it. Go for it.

I wish I could help out and compare it to some of the other current offerings but I can't

benb

Evidence based cyclist
spacecat said:
Very few of us probably need these £1000 road bikes. I know I didn't, I wanted one, and many people justify their own purchases by saying they need something rather than want it. There is very little any of us actually need in this life.

I agree. I'm about to spend £800 on a new bike, but I know I don't need one that expensive - but I do want it!!

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

I tried out the Cube Attempt today and it was nice, light and smooth. Before I took it out though, I had to ask where the gear leavers were :biggrin: (do all bikes have their gear leavers in the brake leavers nowadays? :biggrin:) Anyway, I learnt something about myself today and its that I'm not really that receptive to "first impressions". I had expected the bike to blow my socks off and it didn't. I'm sure if I found myself cycling along a country lane with the sun shining then it would blow my socks off, but it didn't today. In fact the whole experience was overshadowed by me getting my Carlton back from the LBS :smile:. It might be a 15kg tank, but it runs just so sweet. I'd tried over the weekend to raise my handle bars just a touch, but after 32 years it wasn't going to budge. Apparently it took 5 people in the LBS all pulling to shift it! Anyway, that little extra height makes it so much more comfy. Will I go for the Cube? - I just don't know now.
picture.php

Top Bottom