Anyone own a Sonos Playbar?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, after re-jigging my living room I decided to take out the surround sound system (too much tut) and due to the inadequate TV speakers I've ordered a Sonos Playbar.

Does anyone on here use one and if so how do you get on with it?, I'd love the subwoofer as well but that's going to have to wait 'till next year unfortunately as I've run out of money!.

Interested in the rear speakers but don't know if they justify the price?.

Wife's going to go apesh1t when it turns up but hopefully worth the earache..

KneesUp

Guru
In true internet tradition, I don't have any experience whatsoever of the item you are asking about, but I'm going to reply anyway, because otherwise I'd have to do some work.

I have a Yamaha sound bar which I bought about 10 years ago to replace a surround sound system - I couldn't be bothered with all the speakers and wires, and besides which it got a pint spilled into it at a party and stopped working. If it stopped working for whatever reason, I'd replace it with something similar - it's great for TV and film once it's callibrated itself (but it's fine in stereo if you don't calibrate it) but not a patch on traditional speakers for music (although I do listen to the radio on it)

I was going to buy the subwoofer too. After 10 years it seems unlikely I'll ever bother :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
TV manufacturers are very clever. They deliberately churn out TV's with naff sound, forcing us to spend more on another piece of electronic gizmoness.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
TV manufacturers are very clever. They deliberately churn out TV's with naff sound, forcing us to spend more on another piece of electronic gizmoness.

I think it's down to the packaging, our TV is less than an inch thick so there's no room for decent speakers, plus they sound out at the rear of the TV so it's even worse!.

Trying to avoid buying the subwoofer but doubt I'll be able to hold out before Christmas, it keeps randomly popping up in adverts winking at me..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I "auditioned" the full playbar 5.1 but tlh said she'd rather spend the money on a purple velvet chaise longue. So that's what we bought.

I'm aiming for the 5.1 eventually but building it up in bits, eye watering buying it all in one hit.

Did you have it set up at home?, what were the rear surrounds like? (Play 3's?).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm aiming for the 5.1 eventually but building it up in bits, eye watering buying it all in one hit.

Did you have it set up at home?, what were the rear surrounds like? (Play 3's?).
Tried it in the sound room of a local upmarket TV shop.

The surrounds are effective, particularly so, at seated ear height (on stands)

Profpointy

Legendary Member

On the other hand, most of us have a stereo of some sort, so all you need for pukka hi-fi is a bit of cable. Why waste money on good TV speakers when anyone who's actually bothered can plug into their (exisiting) stereo for top notch sound.

Ciar

Veteran
I have one it's brilliant, i don't honestly think you need to add anymore speakers, unless you are going for surround sound, where as i just wanted my TV to sound less crap and it does :smile: it's also very loud and when you watch movies it's amazing how powerful it really is.

this is my second Sonos purchase as i have the original Play 5 in the dining room, again another brilliant bit of kit!

if you didn't have to run power cables i would be tempted to grab a couple of play 1's for the front room.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
On the other hand, most of us have a stereo of some sort, so all you need for pukka hi-fi is a bit of cable. Why waste money on good TV speakers when anyone who's actually bothered can plug into their (exisiting) stereo for top notch sound.
Horses for courses. Few hi-fi have the sort of mentalist bass driver response the average blockbuster needs and very few support pukka surround sound. If your music is largely streamed make more sense to use the TV sound system than a stereo.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Horses for courses. Few hi-fi have the sort of mentalist bass driver response the average blockbuster needs and very few support pukka surround sound. If your music is largely streamed make more sense to use the TV sound system than a stereo.

Whilst I accept the surround sound angle, albeit not something I particularly value, my point was really in support of bare minimum sound quality in the TV itself - as you can use your stereo for better quality. Fair enough if your "stereo" is a tv surround sound set up.

To be honest I'm not all that fussed on stereo. OK I can hear where the instruments are but this doesn't for me enhance my enjoyment of music. Too quality sound on the other hand I do appreciate. OT now.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I have one it's brilliant, i don't honestly think you need to add anymore speakers, unless you are going for surround sound, where as i just wanted my TV to sound less crap and it does :smile: it's also very loud and when you watch movies it's amazing how powerful it really is.

this is my second Sonos purchase as i have the original Play 5 in the dining room, again another brilliant bit of kit!

if you didn't have to run power cables i would be tempted to grab a couple of play 1's for the front room.

Cheers for the review!, it's arriving on Friday so will see how it goes. I do like my Sub but it should be infinitely better than the TV as is.

Just worked out how to get Absolutely Radio 90's on it so that'll keep me busy.

I'm surprised they don't make a rechargeable Play 1, they would be ideal for the rear surround speakers..

Ciar

Veteran
Cheers for the review!, it's arriving on Friday so will see how it goes. I do like my Sub but it should be infinitely better than the TV as is.

Just worked out how to get Absolutely Radio 90's on it so that'll keep me busy.

I'm surprised they don't make a rechargeable Play 1, they would be ideal for the rear surround speakers..

Agreed a rechargeable play 1 would be purchased without a by your leave, but the thought i having power cables puts me off having them, truth be told the Playbar is amazing without.

i was told you can have one play 3 or a play 5 in the room instead of two play 1's and that gives very good surround.

Top Bottom