Anyone? Pinarello integrated headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I need to disassemble this beast on my Galileo, as it's a bit stiff and I suspect wet races have dried out the bottom race. But it's an integrated job and I can't get the forks out of the steerer tube. I definitely don't want to hit it, even gently, as I'm racing next weekend and I won't have time during the week to get to the nearest shop I can think of that could repair it.

Am I missing something? I've done a web search but can't find anything anywhere.

Sam

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unless you've forgotten to take the stem off :ohmy: it does seem an unusual problem. Does the top race lift out of it's seat in the headtube? If not it may have siezed round the steerer. If it is an aluminium steerer I would try a few firm taps with a mallet, if carbon it would be the LBS.

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Top race comes off with a bit of work and finger persuasion.

The top race has a flange that inserts between the fork tube and the head tube. When that race is off, the steering is smooth as butter. Can't get the forks off, but it's smooth. While it's off the fork tube can move a tiny amount radially in the hole, so getting the top race back on is fiddly. As soon as that top race is back on, even without doing up the star washer, the grinding is back.

I've managed to get the steering loosened, so it's not binding, but I can't get rid of that grind. And I can't get the forks off. They're carbon, so while the steerer tube is aluminium, I'm reluctant to tap it through even with the rubber mallet.

Sam

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
have you tried the lump of wood and mallet trick?

They need a bit of a tap to get them out most of the time. Ally steerer so it shouldn't hurt it too much

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

I haven't yet. It's an integrated headset so I don't know if there's a special trick to it. I've been looking on the web but can't find a schematic of the design to work out if this will cause a problem. I'll probably ride it as is next weekend (the race is only the 20k cycle leg of a sprint tri) and then get feisty with it afterwards, when I've got time to sort it if anything goes wrong.

I'm assuming that it's a problem with the bottom race as the top one looks fine. I'm guessing having that top race out takes the pressure off a dry bottom race and lets it swing freely. Either that or there's some issue with the flange at the top rubbing against the inside of the head tube, but I've greased that now too. Bike really hasn't done enough miles for the bearing to have been shot, so I'm hoping it just needs some grease. If I can ever get it apart.

I'll call the shop where I bought it tomorrow (he's closed today) and ask for advice. Sadly it's in Devon, where I used to live.

Sam

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

You can't hide from me, Patrick Stevens. I have minions everywhere. As eny fule kno.

Having perused the Park Tools website I'm pretty sure that it's a matter of giving it a bit of a tap, but I'll leave that until after the race, methinks.

Sam

Ravenbait said:
You can't hide from me, Patrick Stevens. I have minions everywhere. As eny fule kno.

Having perused the Park Tools website I'm pretty sure that it's a matter of giving it a bit of a tap, but I'll leave that until after the race, methinks.

Sam

Which part of me are you proposing to give a little tap? :ohmy:

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Update: the trick, according the the shop, is to fit an old stem after removing the spacers, leaving a gap, and hit that.

Now does anyone know where I can get replacement bearings?

Sam

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ravenbait said:
Update: the trick, according the the shop, is to fit an old stem after removing the spacers, leaving a gap, and hit that.

Now does anyone know where I can get replacement bearings?

Sam
If your LBS doesn't have any in stock it's less hassle and not much dearer to get a complete new headset.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Try the yellow pages under 'Bearing Factors'. There are some national chains, with 'Swan Bearings' being common round here.

Then take the old ones to them and the guy behind the counter will do a lot of teeth sucking, belittle your very existence, but conclude this futile attempt to elevate the total banality of his existence, by finding you a replacement.

stevenb

The existing bearings maybe ok....just needing a little clean up and re-greasing. I suppose it depends how much water has got in there.
Will fitting something like a piece of inner tube over the bottom race keep out the muck in future?
I have a lizard skin head tube fitted to my Aheadset on my MTB...even thought I can get it off easy to clean.

Top Bottom