Anyone recognise this 'mail to: settings (donate)' popup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Since installing Windows 10 on this machine, I keep getting this stupid popup:

1605796454088.png

I've been just closing it down, but it keeps reappearing and it's beginning to really get on my tit. It's the 'donate' button that gets me. Why should I pay anyone? This is a basic in Windows isn't it? Or in Chrome. But not something you should ever consider paying to set, or am I missing something? Is this (relatively innocuous) malware? Anyone seen it/know the easiest way to stop it happening? Thanks.

I'd guess a chrome extension for emailing a link/page as it has a button for adding to the context menu. Have you installed any (free) extensions like that which may also ask for a donation?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
By the looks of it, its your browser asking you what you want it to do when you click on an email address.

If you use Gmail (for example) then select it, and I suspect it will stop asking you.

But the donate button looks like it shouldn't be there.

If you think it's malware then run malwarebytes and it'll remove it.

If it's not malware, then try selecting your prefered mail option and it should stop popping up.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But the donate button looks like it shouldn't be there.
That's what makes me loath to click on it. It just doesn't feel right. Google don't ask for donations, they're busy hoovering up cash.

I did think 'how hard can it be?' and went into Chrome settings. Ten minutes later I gave up in high dudgeon, having as usual been guided up blind alleys by Unka Google, this being the third:

1605808899136.png

I do that, no 'Handlers' to be seen.

*sigh*

'tis ever thus.

I guess I'll just click gmail next time and decline to donate and that'll be that. Just wondered really if anyone else had seen the like, and/or knew about it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you just hover the cursor over the donate button (without actually clicking on it) can you see the destination in the bottom left of the browser screen?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you just hover the cursor over the donate button (without actually clicking on it) can you see the destination in the bottom left of the browser screen?
Nope. But this message appears...

1605834173073.png

This is an 'extension' to Chrome? Strange. I would've thought something so basic would be there under settings. I would've been wrong. I ended up clicking on gmail and that's that: now when I click on mail links, gmail opens up. Still all seems a bit rum to me, but I guess it's kosher after all. Thanks anyway.

See the chrome extension mentioned in post 2.
Chrome has got some extensions installed. Have a look in the Chrome Settings or the icons to the right of the url field on the browser or type
chrome://extensions
Or
chrome://system
In the url field.
It's unlikely to be dodgy. You've probably installed an extension at some point and it needs to be synchronized with your email.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If all else fails scrap Chrome & use a different browser? I still use Firefox

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
See the chrome extension mentioned in post 2.
Chrome has got some extensions installed. Have a look in the Chrome Settings or the icons to the right of the url field on the browser or type
chrome://extensions
Or
chrome://system
In the url field.
It's unlikely to be dodgy. You've probably installed an extension at some point and it needs to be synchronized with your email.
Thanks, followed up on that & ended up deleting a bunch of extensions I didn't know I had and certainly don't need. Not, probably, that it will make any difference, but it just seems like good housekeeping. Plus I now understand that 'mailto' isn't a setting you can set, it's an extension you have to install. Which comes as a surprise but there you go - learn something new every day.

Thanks, followed up on that & ended up deleting a bunch of extensions I didn't know I had and certainly don't need. Not, probably, that it will make any difference, but it just seems like good housekeeping. Plus I now understand that 'mailto' isn't a setting you can set, it's an extension you have to install. Which comes as a surprise but there you go - learn something new every day.

In a sense you can set the OS mailto setting in Windows 10, with the default apps.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-default-email-app-windows-10-mailto/
However, I guess the chrome/extension can't assume that environment info is available as it could be running on different OS, so you have to duplicate the setting. First world problems ...

Top Bottom