Anyone recommend some modern Jazz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As above really.... I'll explain my dilemma....
I've just got into music streaming with deezer on my phone and I've replaced the albums I've lost over the years and the ones I meant to buy and didn't but its new music I'm struggling with.... To me (I know I sound old) all girl singers sound alike (apart from Duffy and Lilly Allen) all male 'singer/songwriters' sound alike and old band from the 80's releasing new stuff sound well...... old and tired.

But I've downloaded an old Joe Jackson Jazz album my brother had on vinyl called Jumpin Jive and I reckon its fab is anyone recording new music like that.... I don't want old stuff re-mastered but new material in a jazz style.... Any suggestions that I can try ....?

The nearest I've found to old stuff with a new twist is Bellowhead who I do quite like and will probably get an album of theirs......

surfdude

Veteran
i could not recommend any jazz old or new to anyone . i just do not dislike anyone that much

Glow worm

Legendary Member
jazz-club.jpg

OP
OP
simon the viking
i could not recommend any jazz old or new to anyone . i just do not dislike anyone that much
I just wanted to listen to something a bit different.... Instead my usual mix of clash, cure, Depeche mode etc........ I really cant tell 1 band or artist from another at the moment

U

User169

Given that no-one's been especially helpful so far, I may as well continue in similar vein by recommending Song X, an Ornette Coleman set.

The bass player, Charlie Haden died very recently, so a good time for a revisit.

(PS - this probably isn't what you're looking for, although it's modern jazz of sorts)

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I've got Jumpin Jive. It was released in 1981, covering old jazz tracks, hardly modern.
Try Spotify to find some new music you like.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The difficulty is that the Joe Jackson stuff is derivative, and derivative of a particular style of jazz. Not to say it;s bad, coz it isn't, I kinda like it.
But if you want some great jazz jazz, from the land of jazzety jazz, where jazz is the jazz of jazz, listen to some Art Blakey, or Horace Silver, or Thelonious Monk or Dexter Gordon.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Given that no-one's been especially helpful so far, I may as well continue in similar vein by recommending Song X, an Ornette Coleman set.

The bass player, Charlie Haden died very recently, so a good time for a revisit.

(PS - this probably isn't what you're looking for, although it's modern jazz of sorts)
I didn't know Charlie Haden had died. Great (musician's) bass player. RIB.

I'd suggest some of the early moderns, because that's where the energy was that made it modern. Monk and Mingus, especially, and then Miles+Evans who followed when the route finders had beaten a path.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Cheers for all the replies I'll check out some of the names mentioned @the_mikey I do quite like the odd Gregory Porter track when I hear one and his voice does stand out from the rest but don't think I would want to listen to a full album

OP
OP
simon the viking
The difficulty is that the Joe Jackson stuff is derivative, and derivative of a particular style of jazz. Not to say it;s bad, coz it isn't, I kinda like it.
But if you want some great jazz jazz, from the land of jazzety jazz, where jazz is the jazz of jazz, listen to some Art Blakey, or Horace Silver, or Thelonious Monk or Dexter Gordon.
This is the sort of answer I like.... an actual explanation (of sorts) of jazz styles.... I like Joe Jackson stuff generally but loving that Jumpin Jive album at the moment I deffo check out those names

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dunno about modern, but here's some good ole Jazz stuff to get started with ....

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew
Charlie Mingus - Ah Um
Ornette Coleman - The shape of jazz to come
John Coltrane - Blue Train, A Love Supreme

I love Jumpin' Jive!

Top Bottom