Anyone recommend some modern Jazz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can't believe how many people are saying they like the Joe Jackson album, I thought it was an obscure album!!!!!!
I Lie most of his stuff!

Also listen to Billie Holiday .... Lady sings the Blues, not Jazz per se, but related and magic.

On another tack - rock/Jazz try King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King. Opening Track '21st Century Schizoid man' is a belter!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They call it bluegrass, but the boundaries get very blurred.....if you like that Joe Jackson Album, you might well enjoy the very contemporary Imelda May

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwmhMzuBA2Y

OP
OP
simon the viking
Its hillbilly , rockabilly , rock and roll , swing jive . Searching jazz will send you on the wrong path mate .
Just to show they used to sing about any old crap then as they do now . This one always got me up on the dance floor to jive with the nearest lady

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yrOOzH8gQ

I thought I was perhaps categorising it wrong... I knew the Joe Jackson album wasn't true Jazz but not swing either..... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... one things for sure it will p***s the Mrs off when I put it on the stereo in the car.... ( for about 15 seconds, then she will demand the phone be handed over and some s***te will get put on...)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I thought I was perhaps categorising it wrong... I knew the Joe Jackson album wasn't true Jazz but not swing either..... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... one things for sure it will p***s the Mrs off when I put it on the stereo in the car.... ( for about 15 seconds, then she will demand the phone be handed over and some s***te will get put on...)
Take her to some Le rock , le jive classes ( for want of a better word ) They play old and new stuff and will get you both jiving and dancing with each other . Not this standing near each other and doing your own thing dancing but real dancing . I used to hate playing those gigs but now I am older it seems a great thing to get real dancing back and you just dance with anyone to get better at it .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bit more contemporary, check out the likes of, Galliano, Snowboy, Cleveland Watkins and Courtney Pine.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm assuming you don't mean 'modern jazz', akin to the sound of a "burning pet shop" and you mean 'modern, jazzy music'.
Try John Schofield, especially Agogo - one of my all time faves, funky/bluesy - just great.
Also some of Larry Carltons stuff - Livewire, Sapphire blue. The stuff he did with Fourplay is a bit 'lift muzak'. He did a great CD with Steve Lukather called No substitutions that was great if you like things a bit more rocky.
There's also Robben Ford if you prefer the bluesy end of things.
There's probably more I could mention, but it's a bit too early in the morning for the brain cells.
Definitely check out Agogo!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WPGdjZr8PI&list=ALBTKoXRg38BBZGOFIKTsxaNuIs8dUNq-Q

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd second Fab Foodie's recommendations as an excellent place to start.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some decent Louis Jordan & Louis Prima compilations about (I have some, but on cd in a box somewhere :smile: )

User269

Old stuff with a new twist? Plenty of old stuff with an old twist, but new...............

Sounds like you might enjoy 'world music' if you want something a bit different and with a jazzy feel..........Mayra Andrade for example?

Top Bottom