Anyone recommend some modern Jazz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

Dell, which bit of 'modern' are you unsure about, just look at that hair/tash/shirt combo.

nutter.PNG

Edit: I've just had a quick listen to that, christ it reminds me of a Herbie Hancock gig I went to when he just played 'experimental' stuff, it was awful, it wasn't until the encore (yes I stayed) that he played anything with a tune.

Check out Photek

or if you are going back a little Soft Machine's 3rd LP

OP
OP
simon the viking
I remembered this morning that quite liked stuff I'd heard by Caro Emerald so might check that out

.... and @slowmotion Elvis Costello 'Shipbuilding' I love that song (and 'a good year for the roses' which is I suppose a bit country)....but Mrs V doesn't 'get' Elvis Costello at all:rolleyes:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Can't believe how many people are saying they like the Joe Jackson album, I thought it was an obscure album!!!!!!

I like most of his stuff I like the big world album.... He was born local to me in Burton

Me too. I love that Jumpin' Jive album, and his albums from the eighties are FAB too. My personal fave tune of his is "Is She Really Going Out With Him"

I can't help with any jazz recommendations. I'd rather listen to The Wombles sings Motorhead to be honest.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I can't help with any jazz recommendations. I'd rather listen to The Wombles sings Motorhead to be honest.

I've got that one, great album.

'ere, just remembered this little gem by Charlie Rich, he's a great singer and pianist, did rockabilly stuff at Sun in the 50s, soul with Smash in the 60s and Country in the 70s, y'all remember The Most Beautiful Girl in the World natch. Anyway his last LP before his untimely death was a jazz album, here's the title track - Pictures and Paintings.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Mine is 'you can't get what you want (t'ill you know what you want ....)

Yup, a good track too.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Seeing how many people in this thread like Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive', which is what I thought to be an obscure album by an almost forgotten (not to me just the rest of the world) artist.... I might start an internet campaign (C.C, Facebook, twitter etc....) campaign to get 'You run your mouth (and I'll run my business) to number 1...... (imo the best track on the album)......

I'm sure we have some experts who could give me some advice.... paging @ianrauk .... Music industry guru ..... @Andrew_Culture It expert/social media guru..... and I'm sure @User1314 who just has an interesting taste in music, could bring something to the cause.....

I am only half joking by the way If it made the top 40 it might shake the pop world up a bit

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

It's an astonishingly broad category of music (Jazz, not the Wombles singing Motorhead). A bit like people who "don't like country" (another broad category that runs from the traditional wives running off tales of woe through to Todd Snider's musings on political polarisation taking in parodic takes on the old stuff too) it discounts an awful lot of things that probably aren't quite what you think of when you think "jazz", or "country".

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's an astonishingly broad category of music (Jazz, not the Wombles singing Motorhead). A bit like people who "don't like country" (another broad category that runs from the traditional wives running off tales of woe through to Todd Snider's musings on political polarisation taking in parodic takes on the old stuff too) it discounts an awful lot of things that probably aren't quite what you think of when you think "jazz", or "country".

:ohmy:

Top Bottom