Anyone returned from abroad lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
How was it? We're thinking about a week or two on a Greek island once the schools go back, but are having difficulty getting clear, straightforward and up to date info on what's involved, in terms of tests before & after and that sort of thing. (We're both fully double-jabbed, BTW.) Just wondered if anyone had a recent experience (the rules seem to change constantly). Was it easy/hard, cheap/expensive...and what was actually involved? Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends if red, amber, green classification. Info here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

unless green, you’ll need to book and pay for various tests (couple of hundred quid potentially per person?)

Clearly you need to understand the Greek entry rules too. Book with a tour company like Tui, they should have info (and offer testing packages). Get insurance that covers all eventualities (Trailfinders good)
And be prepared for the rules to change while away which could make things much more difficult and expensive!

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Just returned from Ireland — which is the easiest foreign country to access at the moment. No tests needed so long as one is double-vaccinated. However, the Covid Pass is essential, as it will be for most countries. Start here:
https://covid-status.service.nhsx.nhs.uk/
Beware! Doubtless some people can download theirs without a hitch but it took us more than four days work to access our passes. If there is the least discrepancy between your passport details and your details held by the NHS, the system cannot cope and no-one seems to be able to help on the phone. You will probably need two codes:
  • Account Linkage Key
  • Practice ODS Code
Be warned — nobody has the faintest idea what these are and where to find them, especially not your GP practice. However, you can find them here:
  • Click on your name
  • Click on the word 'Account' appearing immediately under your name in the drop-down panel.
  • Click on 'My GP Practice'
Lurking in the lower part of the practice details you will find both of these codes. Ignorance of the system is the rule on all the help lines and at the GP practice. The most helpful is the covid 119 telephone service. They mean well but know little.
Good luck!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just returned from Ireland — which is the easiest foreign country to access at the moment. No tests needed so long as one is double-vaccinated. However, the Covid Pass is essential, as it will be for most countries. Start here:
https://covid-status.service.nhsx.nhs.uk/
Beware! Doubtless some people can download theirs without a hitch but it took us more than four days work to access our passes. If there is the least discrepancy between your passport details and your details held by the NHS, the system cannot cope and no-one seems to be able to help on the phone. You will probably need two codes:
  • Account Linkage Key
  • Practice ODS Code
Be warned — nobody has the faintest idea what these are and where to find them, especially not your GP practice. However, you can find them here:
  • Click on your name
  • Click on the word 'Account' appearing immediately under your name in the drop-down panel.
  • Click on 'My GP Practice'
Lurking in the lower part of the practice details you will find both of these codes. Ignorance of the system is the rule on all the help lines and at the GP practice. The most helpful is the covid 119 telephone service. They mean well but know little.
Good luck!
That's brilliant! Thank you so much. Really appreciate the effort.

Wish me luck, I'm going in....

Oh, and

During a global pandemic is international travel for pleasure a wise choice?
Why not? We're both double-jabbed and healthy as a horse. We're no danger to anyone else, nor anyone else to us. And we could really use a break. Can't see anything 'unwise' about it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I won't be going abroad. I go for a rest, not to be tested before and after and then at risk of Bozo changing his mind whilst you are there.

The added stress and paperwork is not for me.

UK will do for me.

You can still catch and carry the virus, and sat in a tin box for a few hours with others, no ta. And if you do test positive, then that's the holiday sat in your hotel room, or your house on return. If you are OK with that, enjoy your break !

We are all different, but it's too much faff for me.

Why not? We're both double-jabbed and healthy as a horse. We're no danger to anyone else, nor anyone else to us. And we could really use a break. Can't see anything 'unwise' about it.

Double jabbed or not, rules can change and very fast. Whether that be in a destination country or your home country.

You can still catch, suffer from and transmit the virus.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. Just went for the covid pass thing. Got half a dozen steps in before it told me I needed to record a video of myself. Tricky, since I'm on a PC with no webcam. Not a deal-breaker: I just went back to the beginning and did it all on my phone. But you'd think it might have occurred to whoever designed the process to tell people upfront: "This process will require you to send a selfie-video - you will need an appropriate phone/laptop/webcam".

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Just because you're double jabbed it doesn't mean you can't catch and transmit the disease so you are potentially a danger to someone else, especially if you are asymptomatic (which you are more likely to be because you have been double jabbed)

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just because you're double jabbed it doesn't mean you can't catch and transmit the disease so you are potentially a danger to someone else, especially if you are asymptomatic (which you are more likely to be because you have been double jabbed)
You know what? The risks are negligible, and we both need a holiday, so you stay at home if you want, we're off. Assuming we can make it work of course.

A holiday is meant to be relaxing. Rule changes could catch you out at any time.
And sitting in a metal tube with a hundred or more others at close quarters ? Not for me at the moment. Oh and if you have to use Heathrow apparently the queues are hours and crowded. Yuk.

A cottage in the country seems a more relaxing holiday.

Top Bottom