Anyone seen this bike before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi I've just bought this bike it's a Edinburgh country touring bike I'm new to long distance cycling,I've got a normal road bike but I fancied audaxs and long distance cycling so this looked good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210116-172249_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210116-172249_eBay.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Is it steel?
Didn't know edinburgh bike co-op bikes went back quite as far as threaded headsets.
Their bikes were always well regarded I think, particularly the hybrid tourers.
Unfortunately I think they stopped their own line of bikes some years ago, beaten down by global economics i suppose.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I think it's steel probably is I haven't got it yet I bought it on eBay yesterday thought it would be good for long distance bike rides. I'll have to change the pedals as they don't look like sps lol.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have a Revolution Country Explorer circa 2011 which is the disc version, with an ahead type headset on a steel frame. It has Shimano Sora brifters, and the logo is a little different from the one on the bike in your picture. Is it steel or aluminium? The later ones were aluminium, I believe, though as @Blue Hills has spotted, it has a threaded headset which might date it as an earlier bike. I see that you have bar end shifters on it, which is a nice touch.

From the information that I sourced before buying mine, they were a well priced and well regarded bike, unfortunately no longer made under their own name. As I have problems getting a bike with a small enough frame, whichever version of this bike that came up in my size, used, I would have bought. As it happens, I like mine a lot. It handles well and is very comfortable.

I would guess that the original version was called the "Edinburgh Country" and that when the disc option appeared the rim brake version became the "Country Traveller", and the disc version the "Country Explorer" though I am only going from old photos. Perhaps this is about the time the "Revolution" branding appeared? Someone out there who has owned an earlier model may be able to give more information. Edit- I've been overtaken by events!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Cheers for the fast reply

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not only steel, but I think I can see lugwork in the photo, so brazed steel. I would suspect it will be either some sort of generic cro-moly, if not a Reynolds tubeset. Sensible wheelbase, comfortable sized tyres, plus mudguards and a proper quill road stem. The sort of machine that, once set up right, can be ridden for hours without crippling discomfort. What's not to like?

Top Bottom