Anyone subscribed to with completesave.co.uk without consent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Checking the old credit card and banking this morning, I noted £15 paid to these people. I've never heard of them before and certainly never joined their discount scheme. Its a genuine website & scheme, my bank fraud page lists it as real. Thing is, I never joined...that is, willingly. I did in my research find a Trainline FAQ page about them.
Now, I booked a train ticket a week ago, but don't recall ticking any box to join this scheme via trainline. Anyone else find themselves in a discount scheme without their knowledge?.

I was going to say no

but to be honest I have found myself as an Amazon Prime 'member' a couple of times without realising that I consented to it
Sometimes it is so hard to avoid agreeing to something that so have to think they are deliberately doing it to con you into something

I have certainly seen subscriptions requests where the "no I don't want to" box is hidden a locked filing cabinet in a basement behind a locked door marked "Beware of the Leopard"

I can easily see how people end up with subscritions that they didn;t intend - which is one reason why I keep my credit card statements on paper through the post - it reminds me to check it!!!

at least Amazon Prime has a free trial period !

D

Deleted member 1258

I was going to say no

but to be honest I have found myself as an Amazon Prime 'member' a couple of times without realising that I consented to it
Sometimes it is so hard to avoid agreeing to something that so have to think they are deliberately doing it to con you into something

I have certainly seen subscriptions requests where the "no I don't want to" box is hidden a locked filing cabinet in a basement behind a locked door marked "Beware of the Leopard"

I can easily see how people end up with subscritions that they didn;t intend - which is one reason why I keep my credit card statements on paper through the post - it reminds me to check it!!!

I've done that with Prime a couple of times and had to cancel it, the thing about that is they say its four quid delivery without prime but if you dig a bit and check you can usually get free delivery without Prime.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've done that with Prime a couple of times and had to cancel it, the thing about that is they say its four quid delivery without prime but if you dig a bit and check you can usually get free delivery without Prime.

I think Prime takes away the minimum spend for free delivery and is typically next day. It's while since I didn't have Prime though!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was going to say no

You have to deliberately tick a box to opt out tho' the last time I was looking at Amazon you had no such option and automatically were put on Prime and then cancel later if you remember. Probably a lot of people forget to cancel.
I went off and bought elsewhere.

Not this one but have definitely fallen foul of schemes like these in the past. You're booking something and you hurriedly click something to get onto the next page ?
I rang the company and pointed out that I'd never used them so it was clearly a mistake that I clicked the join button. They refunded me.

MichaelO

Veteran
Literally spotted £15 being taken at the end of last month. No idea where/when I signed up to it, so cancelled immediately.
Clearly I've ticked a box somewhere when buying stuff over Christmas/New Year.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I heard on the wireless a while back that some of the parking apps scam you into gym membership etc. As you click to the next page it opens up a bank details form. If you fill it in without checking that it's actually the parking you're paying for you can be accepting the T&C from a different company.
I think the companies rely on confusion to get money out of folk.

Insurance companies seem to be the worst from my experience, taking the money out for a future policy, claiming it's just a roll on from the previous policy, even when I have explicitly cancelled.
It comes out of your account in seconds, but takes days to go back in too.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
This is sharp practice and needs legislation to stop it. Makes me angry that companies can get away with this. If @captain nemo1701 was taken in think how many people who are less savvy have been fooled.

It was in relation to a ticket I bought on trainline which I have used many times without hearing about this firm or 'discount offers'. I certainly don't recall signing up for it. They have now contacted me to unsubscribe me and refunded my £15 but in their email they claimed I filled in my details on the discount field...yeah, right. I have used trainline for years. The only field I filled in was to pay for the ticket. They seem to be a bit sneaky, it may have been one of those radio buttons that you have to 'un-tick' not to accept offers.

I don't recall seeing it but could have missed it. Anyway, lesson learnt is just double-check prior to clacking 'Pay Now' etc. On a similar level, I loathe having to unsubscribe from junk mail lists at work I never signed up for to start!....

Stay safe folks :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I heard on the wireless a while back that some of the parking apps scam you into gym membership etc. As you click to the next page it opens up a bank details form. If you fill it in without checking that it's actually the parking you're paying for you can be accepting the T&C from a different company.
I think the companies rely on confusion to get money out of folk.

Bunch of b*nkers

presta

Guru
I have found myself as an Amazon Prime 'member' a couple of times without realising
I've knowingly had Prime several times, but I always put a note in my diary, and cancel on the 30th day. I'm on a trial now, as of last Sunday.
I loathe having to unsubscribe from junk mail lists
I got on one from a magazine free trial subscription. There was no unsuscribe option, so I emailed the CEO and got no result there either, but it was my luck and their misfortune that there was an option to change your registered email address, so someone else is getting it all now.

I once tried to buy some DVDs, and having got to the checkout, it asked for my password for a bank security system called Clicksafe. I'd never heard of it, and hadn't registered one, so I had no option but to abort the purchase and buy elsewhere. Then a couple of days later, the unauthorised order turned up on my doorstep. I didn't have any difficulty returning them for a refund, but I did email the bank and ask WTF is the point of security system if orders can still go through without completing it.

Top Bottom