Anyone toured Kent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proud2Push

Kent Council has done a lot to promote cycling, producing route maps and plenty of info. It looks an appealing destination for a few days touring from home in London, but I can't find anyone who seems to have done it.

Is it just a case of familiarity breeding contempt, or are there serious drawbacks so that knowing cyclists only go through it to get to France?

Just to clarify, I'd like to combine historic coastal towns like Faversham, Sandwich, Deal, Rye etc, with seeing some of the inland "Garden of England" areas. Any comments would be very welcome.

andym

Über Member
I haven't really 'toured' Kent, because, as I live in SE London, it's my backyard so I've only done dayrides.

I'd say definitely go for it. Plenty of lovely villages, and a variety of terrain. I couldn't say the scenery is 'spectacular' (eg Lake District) and the words that come to mind are 'nice' and 'relaxing' rather than 'dramatic', but it's a good place to go for a few days relaxing touring if you don't want the faff of having to travel for hours and hours before you even get going.

The Viking Trail around the Northern coast is pleasant. As well as Deal and Sandwich, don't forget Canterbury or Tunbridge Wells. Have to confess that I don't know the Medway towns.

Can't think of any serious drawbacks - except perhaps trying to follow the NCN signs around Folkestone!

Wonderful County, many happy day riudes and have toured extensively.

The "Exit" from London has its highlights, but some of the Medway towns are little "industrial" in their choice of routes. Having said that the marshes and other areas are brilliant.

Chiddingstone, Penshurst and the central belt to the Canterbury area are simply country lanes , country pubs and lovely Countryside, with most Traffic onteh main roads.

Viking Trail is fine, but as areas are becoming run down is not as nice.

andym

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
Viking Trail is fine, but as areas are becoming run down is not as nice.

It's been a while since I've done it, and I only got as far as Reculver near Herne Bay (and I didn't venture into the back streets of Margate) but my recollection was that it was only parts of Folkestone that felt really run down. Or is my memory not what it was?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did a 2 day mini tour a few years back. I started in Rye, Sussex and went via Romney Marshes, Dungeness overnight in Canterbury. Then next day to Whitstable, Faversham and wiggled through some lovely lumpy back roads to Rye.
Very impressed and traffic light too.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I haven't toured it, but thats because i live there :smile:

Been to all the places mentioned. Some really nice routes throughout Kent, especially around the coast. you can ride from Faversham all the way round to Rye in a day without too much trouble, and it really has got some beautiful scenery. Great tea shop in sandwich!

You might want to keep an eye on posts by Ianrauk who rides a lot of it regularly judging by his postings!

Happy to suggest routes if you do get down this way :smile:

Chrisz

Über Member
Another place for advice on routes might be Downland Cycles in Canterbury. They often organise tours, sportifs etc. so would be able to assist with guidance :biggrin:

OP
OP
Proud2Push

Proud2Push

Thanks for all your reassurance and suggestions. I just couldn't understand why Kent is never included in lists of touring suggestions on any forums I have looked at. Norfolk and Suffolk usually get a mention but never Kent!

While it may not have the drama of the Lakes or Scotland, it does seem to have quite a variety of landscape and coastal scenery (and it's just down the road). Now I know there aren't any horrible secret drawbacks, I can start thinking about a route.

I'd love to start by taking the SS Waverley from London to Gravesend but don't know what their timetable is for the Thames area this year. Has anyone ever taken their bikes on the Waverley or Balmoral?

Brains

Legendary Member
I did a 2 day tour a few years back, went down from London on the train to Rye, down to Dunginess, then then headed northeast, across the marsh and then went through Tenterden, Ashford, Wye, Canterbury and then ended up in Whistable and got the train back.

We camped at a fishing centre, which we chanced upon with a handwritten 'camping sign (which I could find on a map at a push if you wanted.) They had an all night bar and BBQ most summer saturday nights which was great

Brains

Legendary Member
andym said:
Just thought of a serious drawback: Bluewater shopping mall :biggrin:

I've cycled there !
It actually has it's own path all the way from Dartford, so not half as bad as you would think
Follow the path onwards and you get to the North Kent coast, all quite interesting in a run down ex industrial landscape way

The great thing about touring in Kent is the rail system, which as it's designed for commuters means that you are never far from a very good service back to London (outside the rush hours), so doing station to station weekend or 2-3 day tours is easy.

There are also a lot of great little ye olde oaken beam type of pubs in many of the villages, lots of history, and for those who like alpine decents, the Downs will give you those. (For the Alpine acents you need to go to the Up's, but not sure where they are), For those that want a Dutch level of flatness, Kent can also provide that as well, so all in all a good place for a short tour.

I would suggest the two gems of towns being Rye and Cantabury, and castles being Leeds and Dover, and stately homes being Igtham and Knowle, but there is a lot more one could cram into a short tour, and avoid the London suburbs by using the trains

andym

Über Member
BalkanExpress said:
Brains, plenty of ups if you know where to look. This month's cycling plus had a one day route with 1900m of climbs in the Weald:ohmy:

Yes there's the North Downs for instance. But I'm deeply sceptical about that figure - the whole of the South Downs Way has 3000m of climbing; 1900m represents the equivalent of going up Snowdon twice.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
andym said:
Yes there's the North Downs for instance. But I'm deeply sceptical about that figure - the whole of the South Downs Way has 3000m of climbing; 1900m represents the equivalent of going up Snowdon twice.

If it was the Kent Invicta Grimpeur route then it certainly felt like Snowden twice! The Audax site says 1900m of climb too.

Top Bottom