Anyone tried Busch and Müller Cycle-Star 80 rear view mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

I wander if anyone tried this on a Brompton?

Since it will need to fold the mirror must be positioned in the bottom level of a handlebar, which tells me a left mirror must be used as flipped upside down.

I was surprised to not find any pictures of this mirror on a Brompton, nor any kind of video showing how it folds or any video for what matter. Nor any reviews.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You’d be better off with something like the Zefal spy mirrors for a Brompton. They should be ok mounted when folded.

u_i

Über Member
I went through numerous mirrors on Brompton and other bikes, including a couple from B&M. My conclusion was that the need to have a good rear view and folding required a mirror that would easily rotate around the handlebar axis. If this amounts to the rotation of the part that goes inside the handlebar and holds the mirror, it amounts to loosening the hold and the mirror will wiggle itself out of the handlebar. You will have to constantly have to tighten the mount or lose the mirror which just turns into a pointless activity.

The next level is that you need to look for a mirror that rotates independently of the hold onto the handlebars. That basically takes you out of what is available for bikes. Next is that the rotation for folding should not impair the ability for the mirror to hold its orientation in regular riding. The required precision then takes you to CNC and prices that only motorcycle market can tolerate, with a mirror costing as much as an inexpensive bike. However, you at least solve the problem and the cost spreads over years of use. One solution are the CRG mirrors. Personally, I like Arrow. There may be other similar brand choices, but I think that you need to look around motorcycles.

You may say that the mirror will break and my investment will be gone. Well, I have 2 such mirrors on my Brompton, it fell over numerous ties and the mirrors are fine. They have traveled with the bike in vehicles and planes. Finally, you can buy replacement parts for those mirrors and they have resale value, often offered at prices quite comparable to new, just like Brompton itself.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use a Mirrycle mountain bike mirror which when the bike is folded sits in above the wheel and never needs to get moved. There is a tendency for the adjusting screws to slacken so they must be checked from time to time. Otherwise great mirror.

CXRAndy

Guru

cheys03

Veteran
Helmet-mount mirror might be an option? I've used one for a few years. Small mirror but being on your helmet it's easy to turn your head a little and get a wide field of view. Glasses-mount would be similar if you don't wear a helmet.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

@u_i I remember your recommendation, thanks. But these cost $125 a piece with adaptor. Before I'll commit to this I thought this B+M model could be a viable alternative considering it has metal body and folding mechanism. But surprisingly I can't find any video or photos of how it folds and how it can be mounted in a way that it folds and unfolds under the handlebar.

Last edited:

u_i

Über Member
@u_i I remember your recommendation, thanks. But these cost $125 a piece with adaptor. Before I'll commit to this I thought this B+M model could be a viable alternative considering it has metal body and folding mechanism. But surprisingly I can't find any video or photos of how it folds and how it can be mounted in a way that it folds and unfolds under the handlebar.

I fully understand. Below is my mirror container. You buy a mirror and it does not quite work, then you get another and hope that it might work...

mirrors.jpg

u_i

Über Member
How about vibrations on CRG? I'm now using Miracle Mirror and it vibrates quite a bit making image illegible if road is getting bumpy.

CRG does not exhibit vibrations. In the end, it is a motorcycle mirror. It would be far harder to tolerate vibrations on a motorcycle than bike. The Miracle mirror would presumably just break off on a motorcycle. The other notable motorcycle brands that might work are Rizoma and Motogadget.

Last edited:
Top Bottom