Anyone tried Busch and Müller Cycle-Star 80 rear view mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

CRG does not exhibit vibrations. In the end, it is a motorcycle mirror. It would be far harder to tolerate vibrations on a motorcycle than bike. The Miracle mirror would presumably just break off on a motorcycle. The other notable motorcycle brands that might work are Rizoma and Motogadget.

I wander if you really needed 2 mirrors instead of one? What was the reason for two? Thanks.

u_i

Über Member
It is the only bike on which I use 2 mirrors and the reason is that I take that bike into places with complicated riding situations, more complicated than around home. This may include the need to squeeze routinely into the space between stalled columns of cars or moving on roads with plenty of slow traffic on the side of the road, pedestrians, loaded bikes, etc., and maneuvering between the fast traffic on the left and that slower . Of course, once you have the second mirror, it is convenient overall. On my main regular bike, I get good view of the rear with a single big mirror. On the bikes used more incidentally I have just one small mirror typical for a bike.

Tenkaykev

Guru
How robust are they? Recently broke an adjustable mirrors stem getting the bike out of the car & looking for a tough replacement
I’ve broken one, that was when I dropped the bike and it landed on the mirror. The stem fits flush to the handlebar with the mirror on a ball and socket joint. The mirror popped off the ball and I broke it trying to force it back on.

mitchibob

Über Member
I may be mis-remembering, but when I was taking a motorbike licence course many years ago, I'm fairly certain the instructor suggested removing mirrors and indictors from your bike for the on-the-road test, to ensure examiner could see you were looking properly, and indicating by hand, but also to get used to looking over your shoulder, rather than relying on mirrors with blind-spots.

Mirrors for push-bikes are even more useless, so I'd never add them to a bike. Far better off improving your technique for looking behind you.

simongt

Guru
Mirrors for push-bikes are even more useless,
A matter of personal experience. I find them useful as an AID to being aware of what's behind me, but would never rely on them when manoevering. :okay:
Ref mitchibob's post, he has a very good point, but then why are all motorbikes now supplied with two mirrors - ? :whistle:

cheys03

Veteran
Mirrors for push-bikes are even more useless, so I'd never add them to a bike. Far better off improving your technique for looking behind you.
I also disagree. They’re a tool and have their uses. I don’t think anyone in the thread is advocating only using mirrors.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I'm fairly certain the instructor suggested removing mirrors and indictors from your bike for the on-the-road test,
Done at the training stage. The requirement in the test is that you make a noticeable lifesaver before moving off after the emergency stop and whenever you set off or change direction. Instructors are unlikely to suggest removing safety equipment by the time it comes to the test

simongt

Guru
But then, back in't day, cars only had an interior mirror, with wing mirrors; except on estate cars, being a pay for extra. So were we more aware of our surroundings then because we had to be, or was the level of 'incidents' as common then as it is now - ? :whistle:

FrothNinja

Veteran
But then, back in't day, cars only had an interior mirror, with wing mirrors; except on estate cars, being a pay for extra. So were we more aware of our surroundings then because we had to be, or was the level of 'incidents' as common then as it is now - ? :whistle:
The percentage of accidents to drivers & the degree of injury were of a scale that meant campaigners were able to get recalcitrant governments to implement safety regs. I seem to recall that when I was a small child crushing injuries were sufficiently common for us to be warned about reversing cars because we were invisible to the drivers

u_i

Über Member
I may be mis-remembering, but when I was taking a motorbike licence course many years ago, I'm fairly certain the instructor suggested removing mirrors and indictors from your bike for the on-the-road test, to ensure examiner could see you were looking properly, and indicating by hand, but also to get used to looking over your shoulder, rather than relying on mirrors with blind-spots.

And 'real men' 💪 in my state of Michigan ride motorcycles without helmets consistently with the norm in bygone days.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

I would disagree. On my recumbent I have a view of the full width of the road behind me. That view is there all the time, my eyes pick up movement in the mirror. Very often I’ll be aware of cars coming when my upright bike companions are completely unaware. They simply don’t look enough and turning your head they will have a bigger blind spot, unless they are an owl. I’d have to be monumentally unaware, for a car driver to sneak into any blind spots, which are generally immediately behind me and left. Which I can fix by glancing over my shoulder for those spots. Plus you’ll pick them up with your hearing as well.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have the Cateye I mentioned up thread on my Brommie. It's excellent that I can just glance at it and see that the road is clear behind, or that Mrs Tenkaykev is still behind me. So not useless at all, eminently practical. Of course I still look over my shoulder when manoeuvring but the mirror is a great asset.

Top Bottom