Anyone tried the new Specialized Recon shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I desperately need some new shoes and I’m curious if anyone’s tried any of Specializeds new Recon range? Specifically, I’m keen to know how wide they come up.

My ridings more allroad these days with a fair bit of hike-a-bike so still need 2-bolt SPD but would like something a bit more walkable and preferably wide fitting than my old carbon-soled Bontragers. The new Spesh shoes look good and a bit more foot-shaped than their previous models.

For reference, I’m sending some Lakes back as although the fit is superb there’s naff all tread at the heel and what there is probably wouldnt last more than a seasons worth of scrambling around on the South Downs.

Cheers

OP
OP
Pedropete

Pedropete

Guru
Answering my own question: the fit is no wider than anything else I've tried in a standard fitting and the ankle is overly tight when done up enough to prevent heel-lift. The sole looks decently walkable though and I'm sure they'd be fine if you've narrow feet and slim ankles.

Also, where I was expecting two-way micro-adjust boas, these are one-way, i.e. micro-adjust on tightening but not the other way, meaning to loosen them you have to pop the dial and release all tension on the wires. Back to the drawing board

Top Bottom