Anyone tried/using BikeDashboard or other PDA GPS software?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
I have a PDA and GPS receiver which I use for sat nav in the car. It occured to me that there may be some applications for cycling and I came across BikeDashboard I was wondering (before I get hold of a suitable mount) whether anyone has tried it and whether they would recommend it or any other GPS software for tracking cycle data?

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Guess not then :biggrin:

I've found 3 pieces of FREE software which look like they're worth checking out.

BikeDashboard
GpsCycleComputer
SportyPal

I've now set up my PDA and Bluetooth GPS properly, TomTom and GpsCycleComputer handle that themselves but the other 2 need it correctly set in External GPS under Windows Mobile "Settings"

BikeDashboard logs the total ascent/decent as well as working out the averages and logging time averages etc and a bluetooth HRM can be added. It looks like all can handle maps if I can work out how to get them :biggrin:

Anyone know of any other Windows Mobile GPS software worth checking out?

joshua.agger

I'm biking with sportypal also, at the beginning i was skeptic about the accuracy, but it came out that they have done really nice job with this.
The application on the phone has a lot more features and could allow you to do just about everything from the website on the phone, uploading it to the web allows you to store, compare and share the content which makes the community part very useful.

Gixxerman

Guru
I use sportstracker on my Nokia N82. It is very good and it's also free!

It gives you:-
Start time
Duration
Distance
Ave Speed
Max speed
Graphs of speed vs time, speed vs distance, altitude vs distance.

It also shows you your route (sadly this cannot be overlaid onto Nokia maps - but they have plans to make it do that eventually).
The route can be exported in a number of formats (csv etc.), one of which you can load into google earth. The routes can be saved for use later on, so you can put your favourite routes in.
It has auto start/stop, which can also be turned off if you wish.
It is available on any S60 (symbian) mobile phone that has GPS facility.
It has 4 preset activities (cycling, running, walking & skiing) plus 2 configurable ones.
In addition it even uses the accelerometer to work out your steps when walking/running.

Well impressed by it.

greekokiril

I used to have nokia and then I was using sportstracker, but since i switched to HTC on WM platform, i was using a couple of different similar software's. The last one, that I stick with is Sportypal. It has more or less the same options as the nokia sportstracker. The best thing i like at this one is the possibility to compare the tracks, finding other tracks in my area uploaded by other users to go on.

nigelnorris

Gixxerman said:
I use sportstracker on my Nokia N82. It is very good and it's also free!
But its distance measurements aren't very accurate. Compared to my cycle computer and tomtom it's generally up to about 10% short. You can see why when you zoom into your routes on the sportstracker site, the route lines are almost straight from junction to junction, making no adjustments for curves and bends in the roads, which creates a lot of rounding errors. It's still beta so hopefully they'll fix this.

Garz

Squat Member
Intersting theory there NN, my handset acts like a tomtom however I may not get a computer just to confirm (plus gives me excuse to get one).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The mighty Magnatom was using his mobile phone with some (freebie) software to track his ride back in June, which seemed to work pretty well.

I know it's phone, rather than PDA but you never know ..... :tongue:

Top Bottom