Anyone try a Scottoiler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

So, getting back on topic, what are they like. Do they work?

Having the majority of my chain in tubes, a fairing on that also helps protect the remainder from the elements, would it be of any use? I did used to use one on my Motor Bike, and thought enough of it to ensure it always had oil in it.

BTW- I wasn't around C+. I understand it used to be a forum, but before my time of cycling interest.

Rob S

A Scottoiler on a motorbike is fine....you know how they work, clearly......would you still think it's a good idea if you had a large unsightly plastic reservoir somewhere very visible...like the passenger seat, and then had to squeeze a handily placed bulb literally every 5 or 10 minutes to make it work?

davidwalton

Rob S said:
A Scottoiler on a motorbike is fine....you know how they work, clearly......would you still think it's a good idea if you had a large unsightly plastic reservoir somewhere very visible...like the passenger seat, and then had to squeeze a handily placed bulb literally every 5 or 10 minutes to make it work?

Well, if it requires more than just adding oil to the container, then no point that I can see. I already probably lube my chain more than enough, and it isn't like I do hundreds of miles every day as I used to on a Motor Bike.

I wasn't aware the cycle version required pressing a bulb periodically.

yello

Rob S said:
then had to squeeze a handily placed bulb literally every 5 or 10 minutes to make it work?

That was the deciding factor for me. I could accept that you might want one on your bike IF there was an advantage. But it's added weight, it's unsightly and, more to the point, what do you gain?

On a motorcycle, it is at least a automated process. All you need do is make sure the resevoir's full. But on a bike? What's the benefit? It's a manual process anyway so you might as well cut out the middle man. It really is no hassle to oil a bike chain anyway, takes seconds. And it's probably a darn sight more accurate, therefore effective, than a piece of tube dangling above the chain... which could well be spitting oil all over the place!

Rob S

yello said:
That was the deciding factor for me. I could accept that you might want one on your bike IF there was an advantage. But it's added weight, it's unsightly and, more to the point, what do you gain?

On a motorcycle, it is at least a automated process. All you need do is make sure the resevoir's full. But on a bike? What's the benefit? It's a manual process anyway so you might as well cut out the middle man. It really is no hassle to oil a bike chain anyway, takes seconds. And it's probably a darn sight more accurate, therefore effective, than a piece of tube dangling above the chain... which could well be spitting oil all over the place!

On top of that, what finally killed off Cornwall posting in his advert was asking about practical details. We humoured him enough to get details of costs and and the nature of the fluid (it washes off with water) etc...it's all very well 'doubling the life of your chain and sprockets' but if you have to pay a similar amount in fluid what's the point? 'But's it's ideal for expeditions' he said....you'll need to carry hell of a lot with you cos I doubt many shops sell the fluid.

At least the Rohloff version looked cool, mounted to the base of the seat stay!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Rob S said:
On top of that, what finally killed off Cornwall posting in his advert was asking about practical details. We humoured him enough to get details of costs and and the nature of the fluid (it washes off with water) etc...it's all very well 'doubling the life of your chain and sprockets' but if you have to pay a similar amount in fluid what's the point? 'But's it's ideal for expeditions' he said....you'll need to carry hell of a lot with you cos I doubt many shops sell the fluid.

At least the Rohloff version looked cool, mounted to the base of the seat stay!!

I have never, ever, seen those five words together in that order before.

Top Bottom