Anyone understand all the TV specification gobbledegook

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
OLED better in dark rooms, LCD in light conditions. Do you view in the dark or with the lights on/curtains open?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

OLED better in dark rooms, LCD in light conditions. Do you view in the dark or with the lights on/curtains open?
I prefer a dark room, but the wife likes to have the lights on, they are behind us 5&7M from the TV

vickster

Legendary Member
LCD probably better.
Sony XH9005 or the more expensive XH9505 seem highly regarded (the latter for HDR, which you won’t get on standard TV, only Sky Q, Amazon, Netflix, gaming)
see you’ve posted on AV Forums so all good

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
BT TV do HDR on some of their channels, mainly sport at the present time I believe. I had some nice lady ring me up and try to get me to upgrade my box to an HDR capable one. I pointed out that a) I watch very little tv so couldn't care less, and b) Mrs D, who does watch tather more tv, is blind in one eye anyway so its wasted on her.

Its like when I bought the tv in the first place. The sales twit was trying to extoll the expensive virtues on the pricy new 8k model that had just landed. I pointed out that 4k is already a finer resolution than the human eye can discern at normal viewing distances, so its a waste of time. He clearly didn't understand the physics behind simple optics and continued to pratrle on about 8k until I asked to speak to a grown up.

I'm a hard sell.

And that inadvertantly raises an ineresting point. I presume your living room is pretty big, else a tv that is going to give pretty poor viewing resolution if you're too close and the eye can see the pixels. Mine is 50" and 10 feet is just about ok, not that I'm paying much attention to it most of the time.

vickster

Legendary Member
To see the benefit of HDR you need to be very close however.
OP mentions Freesat on other forum so presumably no BT TV or Sky Q?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

To see the benefit of HDR you need to be very close however.
OP mentions Freesat on other forum so presumably no BT TV or Sky Q?
Yep Freesat although very rarely live TV, record to a box then watch, we mainly watch Prime & Netflix, or other on demand, the only exception would be for F1 races I stream Sky from the Macbook

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Go to Richer Sounds. Speak to the bloke (who may be female). Buy TV. The end :smile:
Under normal circumstances that would be the option, unfortunately not currently, we have a working TV so I don't feel it's an essential journey.

vickster

Legendary Member
Under normal circumstances that would be the option, unfortunately not currently, we have a working TV so I don't feel it's an essential journey.
Their telesales people are very helpful, just call up. Shops are closed anyhow

If you have the full bells and whistles UHD Netflix and watch lots of content, then a proper HDR capable set might be worth the expense (otherwise any HDR will look super dark as the screen won't go bright enough)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
They are all open**, but not for in-person shopping, you're right - but I'm sure you can Skype/Zoom/MS Meet/any one of a billionty-seven applications.

**As in, the physical shops I believe, with kerbside collection available, or courier.

Top Bottom