Anyone understand all the TV specification gobbledegook

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Not the Nine O’clock News , about 40 years ago.
Please do try to keep up at the back :laugh:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...pecification-gobbledegook.271342/post-6290688

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Sony XH9005 or the more expensive XH9505 seem highly regarded (the latter for HDR, which you won’t get on standard TV, only Sky Q, Amazon, Netflix, gaming)
Just to close this off, took delivery yesterday of the Sony XH9505, takes a little getting used it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Size wise, when there is a lot of white, or a single bright colour, it might just be a matter of adjusting the settings
Yep stick it in natural or cinema or similar. Should be some settings on AV Forums. 55 or 65”?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
75 inches why just why our 36 inch is big enough it just amazes me when we walk around the block and all the houses with curtains open are dominated by big screen TV sets

vickster

Legendary Member
75 inches why just why our 36 inch is big enough it just amazes me when we walk around the block and all the houses with curtains open are dominated by big screen TV sets
Because that’s what some people like. Just because you don’t :smile:
There are even some weirdos who don’t even have a TV! :whistle:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Yep stick it in natural or cinema or similar. Should be some settings on AV Forums. 55 or 65”?
65" in the end, glad we didn't go 75", may have been satisfied with 55" but I'm sure I'll get used to it, wife has no complaints but she does sit a yard further away.
You say that, I figured our 43" was adequate, what I really didn't like was the 2" black surround, but it's down to each persons choice, we don't smoke, we don't drink, we don't go out that often even when we could so we do tend to watch a reasonable amount of TV in the evening so why shouldn't we.

Although I do take your point about about the size of the TV compared to the size of the room, the new 65" is wall mounted just above a fake fireplace, not 5 foot off the floor, I sit about 15' from the TV, the wife 18' so not on top of it, I've been into some houses that have a 65" TV in a 10' room, not sure how peoples eyes can cope with that.

postman

Legendary Member
Super looking telly great colour,looks nice.Late last year there was talk of us dumping Virgin and going Freeview,new Ariel but our own box for recording Humax or the like and a new telly,sadly nothing has happened,I would love to dump Virgin,but with all the new stuff progs would still be crap.Except Connect,Uni Challenge,Repair Shop,long lost family.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

After our 2nd night of viewing we're disappointed with the sound quality, now it could be our hearing, but the music is too loud in comparison with the speech, we find we're adjusting the volume control mid episode, which clearly might not be the fault of the TV, but it is more noticeable with this TV than the previous.

vickster

Legendary Member
After our 2nd night of viewing we're disappointed with the sound quality, now it could be our hearing, but the music is too loud in comparison with the speech, we find we're adjusting the volume control mid episode, which clearly might not be the fault of the TV, but it is more noticeable with this TV than the previous.
There might some sound adjustment in the settings menu, have a play

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

There might some sound adjustment in the settings menu, have a play
We couldn't see anything obvious other than the Cinema, Music, Narration which did make a little bit of difference, but I suppose I'll have to RTFM

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We couldn't see anything obvious other than the Cinema, Music, Narration which did make a little bit of difference, but I suppose I'll have to RTFM
I messed about with the modes on my soundbar last night. Speech mode was definitely clearer but only because the non-speech frequencies were filtered out. It was okay for concentrating on people being interviewed on the news but anything with music playing sound tinny and horrid!

There is a night mode which I think switches in a compressor (makes the loud bits quieter and the quiet bits louder). It sounds a bit unnatural but avoids the problem of deafening yourself when loud noises follow quiet speech...

Top Bottom