Anyone understand state pensions ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My pension is straight forward. I know what I get and it doesen't really alter..... no problem.
I collect the aunties pension each week (paid into the post office).
Most weeks its exactly the same but every 4 weeks it goes up by 150%:eek: So.......most weeks its approx £150 then every 4 weeks it is nearly £400..
No use asking the aunty.
I have tried googling it.
This is state pension only.
Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any additional allowances ? The only way would possibly to look at her Pension/benefits confirmation letters ! How easy are those to check ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Any additional allowances ? The only way would possibly to look at her Pension/benefits confirmation letters ! How easy are those to check ?
Not easy tbh.
She is 95 so getting this pension for many years.
She does not want to discuss money. She is just grateful for me to sort everything.

D

Deleted member 26715

No......she has a healthy bank balance so gets no extra.
She has never needed a carer although that is likely to change shortly.
Attendance allowance is not means tested, (not 100% sure) if she needs assistance maybe somebody has applied for it on her behalf, it's in a range from £65-95 (again not 100% sure) but that sort of fits. It's supposed to be to pay people to do the things she can't do herself now.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Attendance allowance is not means tested, (not 100% sure) if she needs assistance maybe somebody has applied for it on her behalf, it's in a range from £65-95 (again not 100% sure) but that sort of fits. It's supposed to be to pay people to do the things she can't do herself now.
Thanks.
I cannot think of anyone that could have applied for it. MrsD is next of kin. I am (only recently) PoA.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks.
I cannot think of anyone that could have applied for it. MrsD is next of kin. I am (only recently) PoA.
I have a friend whose mother gets it, it was organised by her local surgery, although having looked at the forms a few years ago for my father she IMO should not be in receipt of it, but as said upstream, there should be an annual review letter somewhere.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a friend whose mother gets it, it was organised by her local surgery, although having looked at the forms a few years ago for my father she IMO should not be in receipt of it, but as said upstream, there should be an annual review letter somewhere.
Interesting. I mentioned your comment to MrsD together with the possibility that her Doctor sorted it.
I could phone the authorities but am frightened of rocking the boat.

D

Deleted member 26715

Interesting. I mentioned your comment to MrsD together with the possibility that her Doctor sorted it.
I could phone the authorities but am frightened of rocking the boat.
Either go through her paperwork, or wait for some to arrive, but it must be some type of benefit

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My pension is straight forward. I know what I get and it doesen't really alter..... no problem.
I collect the aunties pension each week (paid into the post office).
Most weeks its exactly the same but every 4 weeks it goes up by 150%:eek: So.......most weeks its approx £150 then every 4 weeks it is nearly £400..
No use asking the aunty.
I have tried googling it.
This is state pension only.
Thanks.

So, approximately £850/4 weeks? That sounds rather high, based on State pension rates, but, it does depend on her (or possibly her husband's) work record, perhaps, she is in receipt of additional pension, based on Serps type contributions? As far as I know, DHSS (or whatever they are called now) send out a letter annually, detailing any increase in Pension, these should be due round about now, I would guess, perhaps, that will include a breakdown of her pension (ie Basic State Pension, Additional Pension etc).

Alternatively, as others have said, perhaps, there is some form of additional benefit buried in there (eg Attendance Allowance, Mobility Allowance....). AFAIK, if you are in receipt of Mobility Allowance before your 65th birthday, this continues, but, you cannot begin to claim it after your 65th birthday. I say, 65th, that should perhaps be "current state pension age".

At. 95, Auntie must have begun to receive her pension approximately 35 years ago, so, goodness knows what "rules" applied then!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Is this money paid to her bank account?

If so is there any explanatory text eg her National Insurance Number plus a descriptor like AA, RP or PC/SPC?

She should have had a letter at some point in alst few months explaining how the annual uprate changes her payments.

Venod

Eh up
Is it some kind of war widows payment ?

The MIL is 97 and she receives a war widows payment, that was a arranged by the war widows society or some such organization.

The father in law lost a lung in WW2 in North Africa, he died in 1983, it was about ten years after this that war widows instigated and successfully made a claim for a pension payment.

Top Bottom