Anyone unlocked their own phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bought myself a new (to me) mobile before Xmas which is locked to Vodaphone.

I know i can take it to a shop, pay a tenner and get it unlocked, but would rather find out how to do the unlocking myself.

Having had a look online, there is software that can unlock phones... or so they say ...it might just install a load of adware on my PC and dump loads of sh!t in my phone.

So the question is, has anyone managed to unlock their phone and how did you do it?

Heckler

It is possible to 'buy' an unlock code, you provide the IMEI and if I recall correctly you reboot the phone with the new carrier SIM in it and it asks for the unlock code. I did it through a chap on Ebay for a Samsung phone I had, basically he has paid for the necessary software and that worked fine. Wound up unlocking my other half's phone and my mum's with the same chap.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I did it with some phones Mrs B and I had which were with Virgin and we changed to Giff Gaff. It was a few years ago, but if I remember correctly I just rang Virgin and for a couple of pounds they sent the codes. I entered the codes and the phones unlocked. I think there were places charging a tenner or so for the codes, but Virgin were cheaper.
They still had the Virgin bloatware on them though, which I think can only be fully removed by rooting the phone, but at least they were Giff Gaff compatible.
Edit. Why not ring Vodaphone and ask them for the code and see what they say?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last time I bought a locked phone (why do people still do that?), I filled out some forms on the manufacturer's website (Samsung I think) and got the unlock code once they'd confirmed it was out of contract with its original network. Like the OP, I'm rather sceptical of most of the advertised unlock software because it doesn't come with source code so who knows what it does.

Joffey

Big Dosser
If you have an iPhone on O2 you can use the My O2 app and do it from there. But you are with Voda...

I'm pretty sure that if you phone the carrier provider they will do it for you for nothing (but this might just be if you are on a contract with them).

Seevio

Guru
I unlocked an old phone ages ago. It was pretty much a case of typing "how to unlock <phone model>" into Google and looking for a free method which didn't involve installs.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've always bought codes off eBay for a couple of quid. Probably done it half a dozen times. The one time it didn't work I got a no-quibble refund within minutes of reporting it.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Last time I bought a locked phone (why do people still do that?), I filled out some forms on the manufacturer's website (Samsung I think) and got the unlock code once they'd confirmed it was out of contract with its original network. Like the OP, I'm rather sceptical of most of the advertised unlock software because it doesn't come with source code so who knows what it does.
I could have bought an unlocked one, for almost twice the price of the one i bought :thumbsdown:

Anyhow... it is a sumsnug and just looked on the Samsung site and it states "Samsung does not lock any of its devices to any particular network. You will need to contact the original service provider or retailer to request an unlock code." ...so i guess I'll have to ask Vodaphone, or go the Ebay route.

I was hoping someone had tried the various softwares and could recommend one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, its the network providers that lock them so that's the simplest route to go.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not sure if they're still around, or if it'll work with newer models , but I used to use gsmhelp. com or co.uk and got what I needed to unlock my phones.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I've unlocked several phones in my time. Some Nokias a few years back using codes generated by a free website or free software found on t'internet, a Sony-Ericsson using a plug-in widget and a couple of smart-phones using codes purchased via eBay. My last few phones were purchased SIM free (already unlocked).

It used to be well worth it as the phone companies would charge you a hefty fee for an unlock code. Less so now as most providers will give you a code once you've been with them for a few months.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used THIS for my HTC phone. I was sent the code very quickly and it worked fine. The price has dropped by 50p since then!

The eBay shop has a big list of different phones/companies for which codes can be provided.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just a follow up did you try a different sim before unlocking?

Top Bottom