Anyone use a Kickr with Garmin 520?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zeffer

I have been running my Kickr from the Garmin on what I thought was lowest resistance so that I can use it to complement my Physio.

Just about managing 10 minutes at 18mph. Or so I thought.

Today opened the Wahoo app to see what it was about and the speed was off the scale 65 mph totally different from the Garmin! But the resistance was much lower despite the Garmin being set for lowest. It was as if the app was overriding it?

Anyone any idea? Can't find what I'm looking for with Google. Worried as I think I have been over stretching my leg for a start!

Thanks.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

A different question. Has anyone calibrated a trainer using a Garmin? Do I need to do it? Does it help?

Thanks.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
A different question. Has anyone calibrated a trainer using a Garmin? Do I need to do it? Does it help?

Thanks.

I've only calibrated my KICKR using the Wahoo app on the iPhone, and I would say it does help, if you haven't done it recently. Best to make sure the trainer is warm before you do it. The procedure is then to pedal up to just over 22 kph (or mph, can't remember which but the app tells you), then let it spin down without touching the pedals.

I guess calibrating a trainer from the Garmin would use an ANT+ F-EC option, so it would depend on if/how Wahoo have implemented this option on the KICKR. If they have fully implemented it then it would be the same, I guess.

I would use the Garmin app, as it's most likely to suit the KICKR.

I have used calibrate on the Garmin for my powertap hub, as this is the only way I know to zero calibrate it.

Cheers,

Geoff

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
I have been running my Kickr from the Garmin on what I thought was lowest resistance so that I can use it to complement my Physio.

Just about managing 10 minutes at 18mph. Or so I thought.

Today opened the Wahoo app to see what it was about and the speed was off the scale 65 mph totally different from the Garmin! But the resistance was much lower despite the Garmin being set for lowest. It was as if the app was overriding it?

Anyone any idea? Can't find what I'm looking for with Google. Worried as I think I have been over stretching my leg for a start!

Thanks.

I have a Garmin 1000, rather than a 520, but they have the same facilities. I've not yet used the facility to control the KICKR from the garmin as I do it via the dedicated app on my iPhone. Here I can set erg mode and just dial in the power I want to maintain. I start around 100 watts or so and then build it up as I warm up. It works really well, as once you hit the chosen power figure the KICKR varies the resistance as your cadence changes, to maintain that power (power is torque times rpm).

I'm not sure what the ANT+ F-EC implementations in the Garmin and KICKR allow, but I understand that you can replay real rides you have recorded on the Garmin and the resistance changes to match the recording, a bit like riding in bkool but without the graphics. Personally, I would just use Bkool or the Wahoo Strava app that allows a similar thing with Strava segments.

If you want to complement your physio, I would set the resistance using the Wahoo app and appropriate resistance mode, or choose ERG mode and set a power level and gearing that allows you to spin at the desired speed...

Geoff

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for the help. Really very useful. I shall try both tonight and see how I get on.

I was mainly using the Garmin so that my cadence sensor and HRM could also be used as they are Ant + rather than Bluetooth.

Maybe I can still record the ride on the Garmin but control the Kickr using my phone?

Top Bottom