Anyone use Just-Eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Never used them and never will. On the rare occasions we phoned for a take away, we always use our local trusted one.

SD1

I have never understood just eat.
I just go direct to the take away and cut out the middleman. They dont have to pay commission to just eat so will be happier with the transaction.
I also opt to collect instead of wait for a delivery, that way i know the food hasnt been sitting around.
I have only used a takeaway delivery once. The minimum amount was £15. A lot to eat for one. I managed. When I looked at just eat the minimum delivery for the same takeaway was £10. Worth checking there prices and minimum delivery against just eat.

subaqua

What’s the point
It's true that Just Eat take a massive chunk of their on-line orders (17%), but, aside from you of all people saying this, it comes down to a lot of takeaways having no or very poor websites, even today let alone when just eat was formed!

I dunno what it's like where you are but the deluge of takeaway leaflets through the letterbox , combined with an ability to read a menu on paper , and then hold a conversation along the lines of

Me : hello I would like to order some food for delivery

Takeaway of choice : Yes , what would you like

Me :sad: tells the nice person what I want )

ToC thank you that's x pounds and will be there in 35 minutes.

Or can people not use a f*****g phone these days for anything except the purpose it was invented for

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno what it's like where you are but the deluge of takeaway leaflets through the letterbox , combined with an ability to read a menu on paper , and then hold a conversation along the lines of

Me : hello I would like to order some food for delivery

Takeaway of choice : Yes , what would you like

Me :sad: tells the nice person what I want )

ToC thank you that's x pounds and will be there in 35 minutes.

Or can people not use a fcuvking phone these days for anything except the purpose it was invented for
Gave up trying to give my address many takeaways ago. Typing it in, paying by card is massively easier.

subaqua

What’s the point
Gave up trying to give my address many takeaways ago. Typing it in, paying by card is massively easier.
It is really easy round here. Lovely polish girl in the Chinese , a nice Asian lady in the kebab house ( they don't deliver but they do take phone orders then you can waltz in 15 minutes later and collect to the glare of people in the queue)

The Indian has a Indian guy with a heavy accent , but he can understand.

And the best bit is if you have forgotten something you can ring up and add to order.

It is really easy round here. Lovely polish girl in the Chinese , a nice Asian lady in the kebab house ( they don't deliver but they do take phone orders then you can waltz in 15 minutes later and collect to the glare of people in the queue)

The Indian has a Indian guy with a heavy accent , but he can understand.

And the best bit is if you have forgotten something you can ring up and add to order.
Giving addres and phone number is always a nightmare. Just eat saves previous orders, makes it super fast. Oh, you can also ring up and add, just pay extra cash on delivery, done that too.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I can't believe this sh**e is still going into 7 pages. We must be in to dysentery territory by now.

My local Chinese takeaway uses your phone number to get your address when you call. However my number used to be hidden but as a Northerner in the southern wastes it didn't take long to get to "I'd like to order a delivery" "Hi Martin"

subaqua

What’s the point
Giving addres and phone number is always a nightmare. Just eat saves previous orders, makes it super fast. Oh, you can also ring up and add, just pay extra cash on delivery, done that too.

I dunno what our Chinese uses but they know it's us calling now. The Indian place takes about 10 seconds once we have given phone number.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I dunno what it's like where you are but the deluge of takeaway leaflets through the letterbox
Or can people not use a fcuvking phone these days for anything except the purpose it was invented for
Just Eat is handy for checking take away menus online. Use data and save trees!

Heck, one can even use it to get the phone number, if one is in need of a listening ear when one orders one's bachelor food.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to have one of those addresses that no one could find, only the postman knew where '1 underview' was.

I used to phone for a take-away and say "It's the house next to the pub in the village"

They'd impatiently say "just give me your address!"

After telling them that they'd struggle to find it with only the address, I'd give them my address and a hour later they'd call back and say they couldn't find it. "Told you!... would you like me to describe where the house is again? It's next to the pub in the village.... oh, and if it's cold, I'll be sending it back!" (which i did, several times).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I dunno what it's like where you are but the deluge of takeaway leaflets through the letterbox…
There's the main difference. Major A road, houses a fairly long way back from the road, few takeaways bother walking up and down the garden paths to leaflet us, not even the one a mile along the same A road. Actually, few of any leafletters bother here. But it was similar in the last two places I've lived: town centre flat, but in a courtyard through an archway from the street; and a village end-of-terrace, but short stepped paths (foot of a Mendip). I'm not sure anywhere gets many takeaway leaflets these days unless they're something easy to deliver to - people just search the fine web.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

The last takeaway I ordered was in person, in a noisy and chaotic take away and they had problems understanding despite them being natural English speakers.

martint235

Dog on a bike
There's the main difference. Major A road, houses a fairly long way back from the road, few takeaways bother walking up and down the garden paths to leaflet us, not even the one a mile along the same A road. Actually, few of any leafletters bother here. But it was similar in the last two places I've lived: town centre flat, but in a courtyard through an archway from the street; and a village end-of-terrace, but short stepped paths (foot of a Mendip). I'm not sure anywhere gets many takeaway leaflets these days unless they're something easy to deliver to - people just search the fine web.
Yup, major A road, house a fair way back from the road, drawer full of takeaway leaflets and they are the ones I kept. I bin over half of them.

Top Bottom