Anyone use Kodi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just wondering if anyone uses this software for watching movies and other content. I know its legality is questionable but apparently you can still buy set top boxes with it installed or add yourself. Does it work well?
A trader has recently been summonsed in a test case.

kodi user here ,i find it works well on my hudle tablet and an hdmi cable to the tv, I thought kodi was legal as it is a streaming device, according to this article it is legal.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/photo-video/is-kodi-legal-streaming-movies-tv-3640854/

U

User33236

Kodi software is legal to distribute and legal you use for freely distributed videos and music. People, however, use the various addins that stream box office movies etc which is not legal. Say, for example, your create your own videos and stream them from your own pc / server, or have purchased MP3 music and stream in a similar manner then, yes, this is legal.

The test case was brought about to try and criminalise the sale of android boxes preloaded with Kodi as it is claimed the majority of users use the software for illegal uses.

If you use Kodi to stream copyrighted material you haven't paid for will you get caught? The risk calculation is up to you.

Venod

Eh up
The test case was brought about to try and criminalise the sale of android boxes preloaded with Kodi

I thought the case was brought about because they were selling boxes with Kodi with apps already installed that could stream copyright content, as you have stated Kodi is legal without the apps for streaming copyright movies etc

U

User33236

I thought the case was brought about because they were selling boxes with Kodi with apps already installed that could stream copyright content, as you have stated Kodi is legal without the apps for streaming copyright movies etc
Not studied the case in detail so you may be correct.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Kodi software is legal to distribute and legal you use for freely distributed videos and music. People, however, use the various addins that stream box office movies etc which is not legal. Say, for example, your create your own videos and stream them from your own pc / server, or have purchased MP3 music and stream in a similar manner then, yes, this is legal.

The test case was brought about to try and criminalise the sale of android boxes preloaded with Kodi as it is claimed the majority of users use the software for illegal uses.

If you use Kodi to stream copyrighted material you haven't paid for will you get caught? The risk calculation is up to you.

The article above that @roadrash has linked to states the opposite - that under EU law, streaming copyrighted content is not (at the moment) against the law. The current test case is about retailers selling boxes with the software pre-installed.

RWright

Guru
i have been using Kodi for over a year. I got rid of cable TV which i was not watching much of anyway. I loaded it on Amazon Firesticks and have one on both of my TVs. There are people that sell the Firesticks and other types of boxes with Kodi installed but I think you are better off if you know learn how to do it yourself. Not only because it is free but because you will more than likely eventually have an issue and need to know how to navigate in order to correct it. There is a web page or Youtube tutorial for about anything Kodi. I like to do it myself so i can just use the addons that i want. The Firesticks are limited memory. I also have Kodi on my PC and my Laptop.

I can watch about anything I want on Kodi. Sometime the streams are great and sometimes they are not as good as a pay service but for the price (zero) I am not too picky. I mostly watch NFL and NBA games and movies and I am not familiar with the legality of it all. I do know there are some addons that stream some major network live US TV that are legal. As far as other countries I don't know the laws but I do know I can watch almost anything shown on TV, including UK stuff.

Last edited:
U

User33236

As I understand it , downloading material protected by copyright is illegal , streaming it however is not,
I have been known to be wrong,..... according to mrs roadrash :okay:
It is indeed a technicality which I suspect the current legal case is not going to answer. Win or lose in this case will only impact, or not, distribution. Only when they go after an end user will the position be fully tested, and changed if required.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We use it with 'Exodus' add in that seems to do most stuff. We have little mini PC in the TV cabinet connected via HDMI. Also got it installed on the laptop.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, I use it. It's legal provided you only stream, not download. A fine point, but a point nevertheless.

Not being especially computer savvy I use Showbox on it, which is nice and user friendly.

Tim Hall

Yes, I use it. It's legal provided you only stream, not download. A fine point, but a point nevertheless.

Not being especially computer savvy I use Showbox on it, which is nice and user friendly.
I download stuff off iplayer, using get_iplayer, which doesn't break any copyright or drm laws as far as I know. I run it on a Raspberry Pi and control it with an app called yatse on my phone, or with the tv remote, which talks through the magic of cec . I use it to play my music too, having ripped my cds and put the radio add in on there as well.

Milzy

Guru
I've used kodi for years. Just updated my sisters fire stick. Ppl at work sell fire sticks with everything side loaded for an extra £20. Think it's rotten though really as seen as a YouTube video can teach any numb nut how to do it.

Top Bottom