Anyone use Kodi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
to actually use the Kodi box for streaming copyright material that hasn't been paid for is now illegal.
I will trust you on this one as you seem like you are in the know. However, lets say someone legally bought a box off Amazon, and legally downloaded the Kodi add-on installer (which is free and available from the "trusted" google play store). How would they know, or how would they be told it's illegal? Are are we all expected to look it up? Bit of a naive comment I know, as you could download indecent child images and it's still illegal whether we are told it is or not. But there must be a huge base of users who are doing it without knowing it's illegal?

Drago

Legendary Member
All the users I know are fully aware of the legal implications. I was happy to do do it when it fell down the cracks and wasn't technically illegal (the morals are another issue) but no more.

I'm a bit thick with pooter stuff, and I figured it out and was aware of the position, so I'd imagine the average user is as well. After all, who thinks watching feature films for free in surround sound UHD before they're even on release in UK cinemas isn't a bit dodgy?

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I will trust you on this one as you seem like you are in the know. However, lets say someone legally bought a box off Amazon, and legally downloaded the Kodi add-on installer (which is free and available from the "trusted" google play store). How would they know, or how would they be told it's illegal? Are are we all expected to look it up? Bit of a naive comment I know, as you could download indecent child images and it's still illegal whether we are told it is or not. But there must be a huge base of users who are doing it without knowing it's illegal?
I think the most likely way is if your ip address was identified as one that had streamed content from a known source; would be to get the information from your ISP. Your ISP knows everything you do, unless its encrypted.

In reality its unlikely they will hunt viewers down like in the Napster saga, at the moment at least they are more interested in catching people providing Kodi boxes and the people providing the streams. The people making a business out of it.

Personally, I have been cutting Kodi out and using Netflix, Amazon and the catch up services; they provide more than enough Tv for me to comfortably watch in a lifetime.

Tim Hall

Use Kodi on the laptop and have an HDMI cable permanently plugged into the back of the speaker system box for showing on the tv. Great with the extensions such as Exodus and others installed.
There are videos on YouTube about setting it up. One by Mchanga was a particularly helpful step by step video.
Isn't the Exodus addon primarily for watching streamed content without paying for it?

Top Bottom