Anyone use Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have just inherited my wife's iphone (which was actually mine a long time ago for a whole day until she decided that she 'needed' it more and I had to go back to her contract phone!)...anyway, I've been looking at cycling apps and Strava seems to be the most popular. I'm trying to find something that will take on the duties of a cycle computer but can map my route as well (more to look ta how I did after) Anyone use it and if so how good is it? Any tips etc?
Russ

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Yep, Strava's the bog standard app that a lot of people seem to use. I personally do myself, and find it great for mapping my routes and logging my miles and speeds, though not always as dependable and stable as I'd like. Right now it's just my cheap option and I'll be combining it with a heart rate monitor watch, but a Garmin would be the dream!

You literally just click go and ride and Strava does the rest. My favourite feature about the app and website is that I can see how I'm doing on a weekly basis, and compare my yearly miles against other peoples. I guarantee you that you'll get addicted to beating riders fastest speeds on strava segments soon enough!

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks Rob...looks like it might get messy! Also thanks Gamble, looking forward to adding a bit of a challenge to rides (especially as I'd gotten a bit lazy and have been making every excuse possible to not cycle in to work...hopefully this will help give me that extra push!)

redcard

Veteran
Another thing, you can export the data from Strava onto other sites, like Endomondo, which is better for recording your stats rather than segments

squiggle

Just on the note of Endomondo, I have real difficulty getting it installed on my blackberry device. Another reason to trash my blackberry..

I'm not at the stage where the segments mean a great deal to me as I'm not good enough to really contest anything, but I can already tell that this high score game-like element is gonna reel me in like a sucker :ninja:

Been using it nearly a year now and its great, dont really contest any segments but its nice to see my times improving on sections of routes i go on regularly. Oddly i find when i go out with my dad im much slower than when im out on my own, probably has something to do with him buggering off up the road and just leaving me which just pisses me off more than anything :biggrin:

jackhandy

I use Viewranger and download map tiles as I need them.

Completely different beast, but I likes to see where I am on 1:25000 maps and see where "that track with grass in the middle" goes, before I slogs up it :blush:

Ozzrahog

Strava is good but can get flaky because of the GPS. My ride was a there and back ride and it had me doing 49mph at the turn point because it was in a tunnel so the GPS was blocked.But for most rides its great

on the road

Über Member
I find Strava to be not very accurate, I use Locus instead, it's more accurate than Strava and I can download a gpx file of my ride to my computer and then upload it to the Strava website.

Top Bottom