Anyone used a Meths cooker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I use Trangia and don't know any different. No moving parts to break, had this one 20 years. Some people add a bit of water to the fuel to reduce sooting, but I never had an issue.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I use Trangia and don't know any different. No moving parts to break, had this one 20 years. Some people add a bit of water to the fuel to reduce sooting, but I never had an issue.
Yep, same here. Perfect for camping and can be used to create some decent meals. If you get a decent one you even get a nice little kettle so a cuppa is on the cards:smile:

nappadang

Über Member
Trangia is a brilliant piece of kit if weight Isn't an issue. The stove is self contained it has pans and even a kettle and doesn't weigh too much. It isn't very fuel efficient and you need to take a fair amount if you're out for a few days.
There is a gas conversion kit which reduces weight considerably but then it wouldn't be a meths stove.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
imagenes.4ever.eu-breaking-bad-161916.jpg

cnb

Veteran
I have a solo Trangia. Bought for my pennine way walk in 1980, great bit of kit...I was so pleased with it that i bought the two person Trangia for my cycle tours and car camping..I have also used a caldera cone stove which i 'm not really keen on and the Clickstand stove,lighter than the Trangia but you have to buy seperate pans and burner

drop of water eases the sooting problem.
I also bought a ex-swedish army meths burner - elongated "kidney" shape - i'm sure it would take a direct hit and still work !
advantage is that a boil in the bag meal pops in nicely - was about £12

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have had an origo meths stove for getting on for 20 years.Very safe and easy to use,needs to be sheltered from wind when lighting it.Meths can be bougt in hardware shops etc for about £3 for 500mil .If your in France buy some alcol a brula (sorry if spelt wrong) its less than half the price of rip of britain meths and seems to burn more cleanly.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like mine, started with one I made from 2 soda cans, have graduated to one made from a water bottle. But in the U.S., we use it a great deal for paint thinner and gas line anti-freeze, so it is a cheap and nearly ubiquitous fuel, also sold as denatured alcohol(hardware store), or Heet(auto parts store). A meths stove is a dandy little project for a small amount of money and time. I have the sort called a penny stove, because an American Penny is placed over the filler hole as a pressure valve.

Doesn't like to light below zero, so keep your meths in your sleeping bag in cold weather but other than that, great.

Top Bottom