Anyone used dog trailers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
so fit a thin ply base , to make the bottom firm and cover with carpet lots of cheap kiddies trailers on gumtree and other selling pages

OP
OP
NeilnrLincoln

NeilnrLincoln

Do you get a longer q/r skewer with the trailer? Does it feel secure enough fastened on by the skewer? My bikes all have skewers but the photos of this trailer show it held on by nutted axle, that's why I was concerned about the strength of it.

Most trailers don't supply a qr spindle as fittings would vary from bike to bike

I have towed my model aircraft trailer 4ft x 2 ft x 1ft deep on a piece of angle iron behind the standard qr on my road bike and I fabricated a bracket for the trikes without problems which fitted to the mudguard / rack mounts on the rear triangle .

My trailer was built from 1.2mm 40x20 square tubing ( still in pink powder coat ) from a bed frame with a 5mm ply base , 300mm Upvc sides and ex-wheelchair qr wheels . if require a tarp can be used as a tilt to cover it if the weather gets bad or a wind/weather shield
The towbar was made from a redundant car trackrod end and a cranked tv aerial pole The two main rails bolted together and spaced with tube from the same bedframe and studding rather that weld up the frame
the interior I sprayed with matt black paint and the underneath sprayed with car body underseal to seal the ply from water ..
total cost was about £25 and a mornings work and a couple of hours scrounging bits .

I also use the trailer for collecting logs/ scrap timber for the wood burner behind the e-trike :eek: .

Fitting any ( ready built or home-made ) trailer to a bike / trike does require a little thought and a few ounces of common sense .

.. :bicycle:....... :cheers:...:unsure:...

regards emma

gasinayr

Über Member
Do you get a longer q/r skewer with the trailer? Does it feel secure enough fastened on by the skewer? My bikes all have skewers but the photos of this trailer show it held on by nutted axle, that's why I was concerned about the strength of it.

I use the standard skewer with my Trek 6000 disc mountain bike. Used it for more that a year now without any problems. I had the same concern before I bought Cori's trailer so I went to the LBS for advise. Owner told me he used similar trailer for his children without any issues. Good enough for me !

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A wee bit of careful introdction and on/off lead (if trusted off lead) training and I imagine you can have him/her running beside you quite happily. my 3 greyhounds have all taken to it very readily - 2 of them aren't 100% off lead unless in an enclosed area so running them their long lead on my bike gives them the chance to stretch their legs closer to their fast pace rather than mine - I've never had an off or had them cross the front of the bike, they seem to know it'll be a disaster that they'll come off badly in a collision and even my off lead one will keep a steady 3-4 feet distance beside me, they are good with slow down and stop commands to bring into a safe sensible conclusion too.

I'm lucky I've got a good length of straight, clear visibility, barely used, wide off road path to run them on tho.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I've never towed one behind my bike, but have carried a dog in a trailer ^_^

image 1304 012a.jpg

OP
OP
NeilnrLincoln

NeilnrLincoln

Well, I've bought one of the medium doggyhut ones, same as gasinayr's but without the stroller attachments. Took the little fella for a quick try out last night, only did a mile so I could see how he is with it & he seemed to really enjoy it. By the time we got to the end of our road he was just laid down looking out of the windows.

gasinayr

Über Member
All's well that ends well. Hope you both have a long and happy life together.

Hicky

Guru
In the past month I've started taking my spaniel out. Ive waited till he's 19 months. It's been a long wait and I waited till he was 12 months before running. He's what you call part trained(in trialing terms) i now can have him out with the whole family and he doesn't get in the way. Be aware to buildup to any exersize, I've two(bitch n dog) the bitch take much longer to "get up to speed" in fitness. However it's all the joy of having a pooch.

gasinayr

Über Member
Just packed Cori's Doggyhut into car along with all her other goodies, bike rack on and a half pint shandy in boot. Bikes on rack in the morning and off to Arran for a week. Yeh Man!

florencethnurse

Just found this thread, am considering a trailer for our middle aged westie, I have a bike with quick release wheels so the ones that hitch onto the wheel nuts may be complicated I can’t seem to find any with the clamp style hitch anyone got a clue...

Top Bottom