Anyone used dog trailers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just found this thread, am considering a trailer for our middle aged westie, I have a bike with quick release wheels so the ones that hitch onto the wheel nuts may be complicated I can’t seem to find any with the clamp style hitch anyone got a clue...

View: https://youtu.be/Acv-LOqK7nY

D

Deleted member 26715

Why would you insert from the bottom, I would always put the pin/bolt in from the top, so that if the retaining mechanism comes away the pin/bolt stays in place

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I trained our last dog, a collie, to run alongside using one of these http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html , he learnt where he was supposed to be pretty quick and it gave a useful option for when in busy area's. Don't attach it to your bling carbon frame though. The new dog, a whippet, is rubbish at it though, wants to do 30 mph for half a mile then is cream crackered, she's going to have to have a trailer.
We pick-up Basil our Whippet in a few weeks time!
Pics pls!!!!
@Hill Wimp

... you do know that Whippets aren’t too smart don’t you?

Last edited:

Siclo

Veteran
Oops, I meant pics of @Siclo Whippet!

37223209221_9d2768fa2b_k.jpg

That's Pip on a Corbett, no photo's of the walky dog in action I'm afraid

Not read through everything so has the op sorted his dog trailer issues out?

For my tuppeneth worth of comments I would say Burley do a good trailer hitch suitable for qr rear axles. I've used it without issues for a two seater child trailer for years. On and off road. Their dog trailer is just as good and very similar to their child trailers.

There's always the weber hitch that's possibly the best trailer hitch out there.

If a small spaniel (you never gave the breed I think) a bar or rear rack box is possible. Getting up to 6kg and the bar based one is possibly too heavy a dog even if they rate it for higher weights.

There's a series of bikejoring kits that have a bar attached to the bike and a short, adjustable lead attached to it by a spring. The dog runs alongside the bike but cannot run into pedals or bike. Some attach to bars which is a bad thing for training your dog to use it. If they run off after a scent you're off too. It's better with a seat post mounted version.

Best option is to train your dog to run without anything If it's a dog capable of running at bike speed (don't go fast) .

We've got a lovely young border terrier that's always run alongside our bike without issues at all. They're a terrier breed bred for running with hounds and horses so I guess it's in their genetics.

5 minutes per month is good advice but it's not universal. Our terror never bothered with it. 7 months old it finished nearly an hour's walk with a two hour mad hour running around the house causing trouble. We have learnt to read our dog and play it safe when the signs showing she's feeling it a bit. We won't get a bikejoring kit until 2 years old I think and tbh it is not necessarily needed.

Good luck with your dog and bike riding trips. It's fun when you get it right for you and dog

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thinking of a medium one of these when Basil is up to size.

Any thoughts?

https://www.easyanimal.co.uk/solvit-houndabout-stroller-bicycle-trailer-ii.html#.W3m3K6TTWEc

ACAEE603-A228-4828-811A-8A30DDCE013C.jpeg

Top Bottom