Anyone using a Velogical dynamo with either Supernova or Edelux front AND rear lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperGalactian

Well-Known Member
I'm a bit concerned about compatibility. Edelux state that there 'may' be a risk (but they are competitors in dynamo manufacture), while Supernova give dire warnings about supply to the tail light exceeding 6V (although presumably the front light controls this? or not?).

If you are successfully running either of these combinations, I'd love to be reassured. Or indeed any other lights with a Velogical dynamo.
 

brommieinkorea

Über Member
Location
'Merica darnit
Having seen a Velogical dynamo, and thinking it looked like a decent unit, I was hoping this thread would get lots of responses either good or bad. Guess not. The paperwork that comes with Busch and Muller's light says not to use the thing, although I don't know what's different about the Velogical vs a tyre scrubber from Schmidt. Voltage ? Wattage ?
 
OP
OP
S

SuperGalactian

Well-Known Member
Things have moved on a little. I can report that my Velogical dynamo works well with a Supernova E3 Pure II front light and T3 Mini tail light. I've tried bombing downhill in daylight a few times to see if it blows the light, and it hasn't yet.

I'm now puzzling over what to do for the other bike.
 
OP
OP
S

SuperGalactian

Well-Known Member
In the process of ordering a second Velogical Trekking dynamo, I asked for clarification about this compatibility issue. The info on their website was quite ambiguous. Here's what Julien Bazoge replied:

<<
The website certainly needs improvement. I might have time to make some updates this winter.

Basically, almost any LED headlights are compatible, provided they are not too powerful – around 100 Lux.
The more powerful they are, the later they start lighting up.

The thermistor must be used with all headlights in any case. It acts as overvoltage protection, so you don't have to worry about damaging your lights.

The electrical difference between the Trekking and Sport dynamo is minimal. We are planning to stop producing the Trekking version to simplify things.

The over-voltage protector manufactured by Shimano was recommended prior to the development of the thermistor. We should simply remove it from our website to avoid confusion.
>>

BTW, the Velogical Sport dynamo that will persist is the one with the sexy-looking red top (if that turns you on).
 
Top Bottom