Anyone voting yesterday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I do hope so else I'll have nothing to do tomorrow night. The 10pm start is past my bedtime so I hope it's going to be worthwhile :smile:

Tomorrow night is just checking that the correct number of papers are in the ballot boxes that arrive from the polling stations. Actually counting of the votes doesn't happen until Friday and I haven't been invited to work that session.
What time will you be starting then?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
What time will you be starting then?

I'll just have to hope it's exciting enough to keep me awake :laugh:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I will because even if who I vote for doesn't get in ( which they wont) its still a vote against the current councillor. All they are bothered about is maintaining their allowances not about the local community/area.
Some of the councillors here are on over 50K for chairing different committees etc. They would agree to absolutely anything to maintain that money. This is where the problem lies.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll just have to hope it's exciting enough to keep me awake :laugh:
Will you be counting them into 25's or 50's?

Everyone on the opposite side of the table watching your every move. Don't drop one on the floor, whatever you do.

Make certain they keep their hands away and on their side of the table! They know the rules. And have fun.

Nope. Police & Crime commissioner only. At the risk of being banned (or moved) I don't think it should be a political position.

It's often a post retirement pension extending job for senior policemen or other public servants I thought. The politics being used as a vehicle to pay for the campaign to get them into position.

AndyRM

XOXO
I can vote for the mayor (will be close) and local councillors here.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in South Tyneside as the ongoing bin collection strikes (which have been an issue since November) have really hacked off the natives.

It'll be fun next local election here. They've changed boundaries and ours have now joined with furness. This means that half get free green bin collections and half have to pay up. Whatever happens the faultlines are clear and whatever happens not everyone will be happy.

Filled one in yesterday. It's a pretty simple form basically ask's how many your handing in , for who and you're not an election agent.

Thanks - I like to know what to expect

tom73

Guru
I will because even if who I vote for doesn't get in ( which they wont) its still a vote against the current councillor. All they are bothered about is maintaining their allowances not about the local community/area.
Some of the councillors here are on over 50K for chairing different committees etc. They would agree to absolutely anything to maintain that money. This is where the problem lies.

We've one better than that as he's standing down a big song and dance has been about and how it's wonderful. He's been a councillor, leader and MP. He was one for over 20 years in a safe seat. Retired then got magically selected and was back as councillor. Then they wonder why people have no time for them.

classic33

Leg End Member
At risk of ending up in The Other Place, a non-politic question re voting.
In our part of Hamtun, WNC, it's just police / fire / summat commissioner.

Any one bother with these folk?

I probably will but I don't expect to be pushing through the crowds to get in!
We have the local elections and the joint office of West Yorkshire Mayor and Police and Crime Commissioner tomorrow.
Both counted locally before the West Yorkshire Mayor and PCC votes go off to Leeds.

There's going to be tired fingers and sore eyes, along with silent promises of "Never again" from some working on the counts within the county.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yup, I will be. Ironically, I will vote for a candidate whose ideology I wouldn't in a general election. Parish or local elections here, I will view for her because she has feet on the ground, is visible, engages with the community.
The others, no idea who they are, never see them, they only raise their heads above the parapet...about now, surprise surprise..

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not bothering either. What the hell does a Police and Crime Commissioner do anyway? Seems like a total non job.

It seems like they don't know either. The candidates here are talking tough about zero tolerance policing etc, but that's the chief constables decision, not theirs. They have no say over operational matters, by law.

The role is one of financial management and strategic governance, and not one of the eejuts seems to realise that. They all think they're going to be the next T J Hooker.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Will you be counting them into 25's or 50's?

Everyone on the opposite side of the table watching your every move. Don't drop one on the floor, whatever you do.

Make certain they keep their hands away and on their side of the table! They know the rules. And have fun.

10's that get collected into 50's. You can't expect people around here to count past 10 :laugh:

All the sessions I've done so far have been very relaxed. We know it's important and everyone is doing a good job but even when there's been a minor panic no one has got stressed over it. I expect the team leaders handing out sweets helps.

Top Bottom