Anyone voting yesterday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The world was a safer place with William Shatner patrolling the streets.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Did my civic duty this morning at my local boozer.
Sadly pumps not open for pouring.
20240502_072358.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have voted.

Three ballot papers that had to be placed into corresponding colour- coded bins.

Only problem was that they'd chosen wishy washy pastel colours and the colours on the bins were sufficiently different to the colours on the papers to confuse me completely.

Fortunately there was text on the bins identifying the appropriate paper, so after a bit of careful reading I figured it out.

PCCs can hire and fire CCs, they set the budget and precept (AIUI the part that comes out of your council tax) and they also set the objectives the CC has to achieve.

I don't see that as being nothing much or playing TJ Hooker. There's a fair few who used to be CCs or assistants level anyway. Not all but there are some who know a thing or two about running police forces prior to becoming PCC.

Of course some really are just party twonks who shouldn't be anywhere near a position of influence or decision making.

However, should this affect your decision to exercise your electoral rights? Imho it is less about voting for our against someone for the role you don't believe in but the action of voting. Even if you spoil your paper it has value imho.

I'm afraid I'll be one of the 30% of the electorate voting in the PCC elections today. It matters not who wins as I have no idea who is best suited for the job. There's been nothing through the letterbox about them. I'm going so I can be counted as a voter in the election. I feel that's as positive a statistic that I can be right now!

gbb

Legendary Member
If admin consider this
PCCs can hire and fire CCs, they set the budget and precept (AIUI the part that comes out of your council tax) and they also set the objectives the CC has to achieve.

I don't see that as being nothing much or playing TJ Hooker. There's a fair few who used to be CCs or assistants level anyway. Not all but there are some who know a thing or two about running police forces prior to becoming PCC.

Of course some really are just party twonks who shouldn't be anywhere near a position of influence or decision making.

However, should this affect your decision to exercise your electoral rights? Imho it is less about voting for our against someone for the role you don't believe in but the action of voting. Even if you spoil your paper it has value imho.

I'm afraid I'll be one of the 30% of the electorate voting in the PCC elections today. It matters not who wins as I have no idea who is best suited for the job. There's been nothing through the letterbox about them. I'm going so I can be counted as a voter in the election. I feel that's as positive a statistic that I can be right now!

Voting in the next couple hours.
TBH, if there's a PCC element in it here...i won't vote for that element. Complete waste of time, i doubt 99% of the local population know the person, ever heard of the person or know what they stand for or what it actually means in outcome terms. Utterly pointless IMHO

Badger_Boom

Über Member
We're going down later. We get to choose a metro-style mayor that I thought we'd already democratically stated we didn't want.

None of he candidates are giving me the impression they could do a good job either. Their literature is full of tosh about how they want to shake things up (presumably at the expense of actually doing the job they're being elected to do).

geocycle

Legendary Member
Just been to vote, was in two minds as I only had the police commissioner to elect. Very, very quiet at the polling station, I wouldn’t be surprised at less than a 30% turn out. Managed a ride though as part of my post op rehab.

Top Bottom