Anyone voting yesterday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our local results are very interesting. No majority for Stockport, but when you look at the wards, Cons didn't win any, but where Conservatives lost to Lib Dems, Labour was well behind. Very much affluent areas with lots of old people living there (sorry but it's true). Most other wards were a Labour/Lib Dem fight off. My ward was very much Lib Dem for a long time but that was now clearly Labour, mainly down to the candidate who is very good. The Lib Dem person has been mail bombing people for months - we've had four individual letters, fliers etc etc from them - sick to the back teeth of paper waste.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And don’t forget your id if voting in person. A certain fluffy haired ex politician who was the one that actually brought in the law was turned away from a polling station for forgetting his.:laugh:

It crossed my mind that said fluffy haired politician may well have done this on purpose in order to get his name in the news.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We were bombarded - 1 con and 2 labour reps knocking on our door in the last 2 weeks. One of them was going around on the back of a van with a loudspeaker. Someone on a FB group quite rightly said that if it was kids doing that with a megaphgone, they'd be accused of antisocial behaviour

We voted, even though it is only the Police and crime commissioner here, and neither of us actually knew anything about any of the candidates.

Have you noticed that there's been very little party leaflets about the PCC candidates? We've had nothing from any of the parties. I think that's a bit strange. Or not! I mean they're probably saving up for the GE this year so makes sense not to buy much throwaway leaflets for just the PCC.

On a side note we had a slight crank of a woman at our polling station who told two others there when I voted about how badly one of the candidates behaved, got off a criminal prosecutio 20 or 30 years ago. But she's not trying to change anyone's vote, LOL! The young lad running the polling station, looked just about old enough to vote himself, didn't say anything.

Another point, three candidates and only one had their address listed. The other two just had a statement that their address was within the voting area. I can understand in these modern times that elected officials or candidates don't want to have their address made public nowadays. That didn't surprise me but what did was the fact the tory PCC candidate had his address fully listed. I would have thought tory candidates are most likely to be targeted.

Anyway, did anyone find the photo ID requirement a problem? Was it really such a big anti-democracy measure some made out when it was first needed?

tom73

Guru
Result is so nailed on they don't start counting till 1pm round here been like that for a few years now.
PCC one use to be worse took days to even start counting as do the mayor ones.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Voted 9 times yesterday. Once each for Police and Crime Commissioner, Mayor and by election for local councillor. And then two proxy votes for my neighbour for all 3.

Without wishing to get too political, I feel rather dirty having voted Conservative twice. I think the Mayor is doing a great job in Birmingham, and has been standing up for the city against attacks from within his own party. And the WM Police is in Special Measures, which doesn't reflect well on the PCC, and only have one other choice. Naturally I am left of centre, and more than that, aside from bigger national issues, recent pronouncements on disability and mental health issues are a little too close to those I care about to consider voting for the national party.

Apparently British Cycling membership card is not good enough for photo ID. But driving license is. There's motonormativity for you.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Apparently a "wanted" poster isn't sufficient ID either.

We were bombarded - 1 con and 2 labour reps knocking on our door in the last 2 weeks. One of them was going around on the back of a van with a loudspeaker. Someone on a FB group quite rightly said that if it was kids doing that with a megaphgone, they'd be accused of antisocial behaviour

I had 2 candidates manage to walk past my post box and squeeze their junk mail under the door :headshake:

Anything unadressed got sent unfranked to "The Prime Minister, 10 Downing Street" :laugh:

tom73

Guru
Voted 9 times yesterday. Once each for Police and Crime Commissioner, Mayor and by election for local councillor. And then two proxy votes for my neighbour for all 3.

Without wishing to get too political, I feel rather dirty having voted Conservative twice. I think the Mayor is doing a great job in Birmingham, and has been standing up for the city against attacks from within his own party. And the WM Police is in Special Measures, which doesn't reflect well on the PCC, and only have one other choice. Naturally I am left of centre, and more than that, aside from bigger national issues, recent pronouncements on disability and mental health issues are a little too close to those I care about to consider voting for the national party.

Apparently British Cycling membership card is not good enough for photo ID. But driving license is. There's motonormativity for you.

All you are doing is voting for the best one for the job. Which better than too many who just blinding vote based on colour. As it's always been like that.

It crossed my mind that said fluffy haired politician may well have done this on purpose in order to get his name in the news.

Well - if he did then it worked as he has been on the front of most on line "papers" I have looked at!!!!

seems unlikely though - have not seen any of his other plans working!!

(whooops sorry - I go to "the other place" now)

presta

Guru
And they're off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68942528

BBC did take a while - photographer was probably having a lie in so they can stay up late to photograph the winners and stuff tonight

1714751247290.png

Mike_P

Guru
York & N Yorks voted against buying a hotel so Labour won. Now the fun starts as public transport goes to that authority, how will it combine York and we like buses with N Yorks what's a bus. And wonders if cycling responsibility will move, N Yorks constantly promote some cycling scheme which either gets dropped or turns into a highway improvement but blaming the loss of trees somehow on the minimal cycling provision.

Top Bottom