Anyone watching the Rosetta comet landing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
1.4 billion euros. Justified on the grounds that they might find something useful. Some business case. A further 1.4 billion reasons for us to get out of Europe.

Go back to your cave while we watch the action

hoopdriver

Guru
You can get that by riding somewhere new on your bike, and it won't cost the tax payer a penny.
That is a very good point. I certainly do experience a sense of wonder and discovery when I am out on my bicycle riding along a 'new' lane I've not been down before.

But there are bigger things too, intriguing questions and places that capture my imagination. Deep space, deep seas...

With the billions that are flung into the wind on all sorts of wars and graft these days, the cost of this bit of pure, idealistic perhaps even naive exploration is nothing. Not even half of the fine that is being levied this week against a few dodgy banks, who themselves merely shrug it off as the cost of doing business.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
MOD NOTE: please restrict posts to discussing the comet, not fine distinctions in the meanings of words.
(I know it's the cafe, but that really is a long way off topic)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So the enormous digression is over? :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to the next installment of how Philae manages to find a more sunny spot. No doubt you Brits can relate to that! :laugh: Sorry, couldn't help it.
Seriously, though, it would be a shame if the batteries ran out before the lander could find a better spot.
The Germans must be well pee'd off.
They get to the comet and find someone has already nabbed the sunny spot.
The should have sent their kids out at 5am with the towels.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
So the enormous digression is over? :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to the next installment of how Philae manages to find a more sunny spot. No doubt you Brits can relate to that! :laugh: Sorry, couldn't help it.
Seriously, though, it would be a shame if the batteries ran out before the lander could find a better spot.
Yep - and the results from the experiments that are being conducted as I type. According to Prof Monica it's a bonus if a sunny spot can be reached as batteries will deliver all primary objectives :thumbsup:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Another glorious failure just like that Christmas shambles of a few years ago. They should stick to designing shirts.
It may not be as successful as hoped, but it's by no means a failure. If some people spent as much time feeding their brains as they do feeding their wallets or egos, then perhaps half the planet might not be worrying about feeding their stomachs.

Top Bottom