Anyone watching the Rosetta comet landing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talisman50082

There is a possibility that the probe may be able to provide information that helps to explain how life has come to exist on Earth. I can't imagine anything much more important than that.

Except the line up of I'm a Celebrity of course
Why is that important. Will it feed the starving of the world, cure cancer,stop the futile wars, prevent greedy profiteering banks and governments form destroying the human race. ............total waste of time,effort and money.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Am I right in thinking that the larger the mass of an object the greater it's gravitational pull? If that's right and we're losing all this mass, when can I expect to start going up hills quicker?

You're quite right. Unfortunately the scale of things presents a bit of a problem.

The earth's mass is about 6 x 10 to 21st power (sorry can't do the little "21"s on this computer). So a reduction in mass of 50,000 tonnes is about 8 x 10 to -16th power % reduction in mass

So if you're currently taking 10 minutes to climb a hill, you can expect that to reduce next year to 9 minutes 59.9999999999999995 seconds.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why is that important. Will it feed the starving of the world, cure cancer,stop the futile wars, prevent greedy profiteering banks and governments form destroying the human race. ............total waste of time,effort and money.

The issue is one of scale. If you were to look at the budget for Rosetta compared to, say, the British NHS budget you'll find that it is a vanishingly small %. We should also consider that the benefits from these ventures often only become apparent some time in the future. There are obvious benefits in terms of complex modern materials on Earth that have been developed for space exploration that were not apparent at the time. On a wider scale, who is to say in the future that exploitation of comets may not be a way for mankind to benefit in some way?

Of course we could have taken your view fifty years ago and we wouldn't have computers for CC, carbon for bikes or microwaves to heat your tea up with

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You're quite right. Unfortunately the scale of things presents a bit of a problem.

The earth's mass is about 6 x 10 to 21st power (sorry can't do the little "21"s on this computer). So a reduction in mass of 50,000 tonnes is about 8 x 10 to -16th power % reduction in mass

So if you're currently taking 10 minutes to climb a hill, you can expect that to reduce next year to 9 minutes 59.9999999999999995 seconds.
Well....it's a start I suppose.

Am I right in thinking that the larger the mass of an object the greater it's gravitational pull? If that's right and we're losing all this mass, when can I expect to start going up hills quicker?
Well, gravity is proportional to the mass of each body involved, and inversely proportional to the (edit: oops! but calculation below was based correct formula) square of the distance they are apart.

So if, for instance, you wanted to lessen the effect of gravity on you by 10%, either you would have to reduce your mass by 10%; or the earth would reduce it's by 10%, or you could start exercising at (I think I've got this right) a little over 300km above sea level.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which one is most achievable.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Well, gravity is proportional to the mass of each body involved, and inversely proportional to the distance they are apart.

So if, for instance, you wanted to lessen the effect of gravity on you by 10%, either you would have to reduce your mass by 10%; or the earth would reduce it's by 10%, or you could start exercising at (I think I've got this right) a little over 300km above sea level.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which one is most achievable.
I'll start building my 300km exercise shed in the garden next weekend.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Marginal gains.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
111214_67PSize_DeathStar.jpg

111214_67PSize_BorgCube.jpg

111214_67PSize_SpaceWorm.jpg

111214_67PSize_Starship.jpg

111214_67PSize_BSG.jpg

111214_67PSize_Monster.jpg

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member

To the dedicated weight-weenies, that actually matters! :rolleyes:
I'll be reading any further articles on the comet with interest, and I still can't stop thinking about that SF book I mentioned, and wondering how much of it will end up being prediction, one day...

Top Bottom