Anyone with local knowledge of Edinburgh cycle parking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Does anyone know of any public bike lockers in Edinburgh, close to Waverley station?
I hope to be arriving in Edinburgh by rail on Mon 10th June around midday, leaving by rail around 23.00 the same day. I would like to leave my bike and four laden panniers somewhere safe rather than trundle round the city with them all day.
I'm happy to pay, but know that some left luggage outfits claim a bike with four panniers is actually five items which makes their service uneconomic IMV.
I didn't expect to be in Edinburgh that day, but shortage of bike spaces on the sleeper forced a change of plan.
Not a single bike space on the Inverness to London sleeper on 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th June:sad::sad:
Thanks for reading:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Snorri, I'm not sure about Edinburgh, here in Glasgow major train station - even my not so major local one, have "bike cubicles", sort of sheds available to all that bring a lock to lock them. They are intended for part bike, part train commuters.
As nobody can really see what's inside them, I thinks they are less inviting to thieves than stands or cages.
Maybe @Scoosh will know if Waverley has them?

edindave

Über Member
Mind that info is quite old. Could be worth an advance phone call to the bus station to find out the latest.

Another potential option occurred to me. Take two large black refuse sacks with you; they'd be bound to hold two panniers each? And then check them into Waverley left luggage as two items. Then all you need is a decent lock and the bike should be safe secured in the free bike racks. Just an idea! ;)

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
Thank you edindav^_^
Latest update, as of Monday 10th.
Waverley station has no cycle lockers and the Left Luggage office charges 9 pounds* per item and refuses to take bicycles. There are cycle racks, but these are not in a secure compound, and signs say any items left on the bike will be removed by Security.
The bus station at St Andrew Square has six lockers(outdoors near where the buses enter and leave), these will accommodate a fully laden bike with ease. One of the Customer assistance people who are to be found near the ticket selling counters will open the locker for you , or give you the key, and retains the key while the bike is in storage. When you go to collect the bike you pay 3 pounds* and the attendant opens the locker for you. The bus station is open approx 22 hours per day.
*Now I'm using a furrin pc that has no pounds sign((

Top Bottom